Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

8# ATI reliable on LS1 Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 05:20 AM

Question 8# ATI reliable on LS1 Engine?

Just wanted some opinions here.

Was thinking about running 8psi ATI and just wanted to know if I will HAVE TO become a part of the "engine rebuild club" later or not?

Heres the setup I was thinking about purchasing:

ATI D-1SC (or P-1SC) 8psi
145 slave cylinder
Good Clutch (havent decided yet)
NGK TR6 spark plugs
Dyno testing and tuning
Injectors will depend on (FMU setup - not decided yet either)

Car is a 2002 TA WS6 6-spd. Has nothing but an airlid, corsa exhaust, slp y-pipe, and some appearance mods.

So would this be "reliable" to my engine or not? By engine I mean EVERYTHING (springs, rods, crankshaft, you name it).

Reason for this post is because I hear a lot of people saying if I were to run boost I would definetly need to rebuild my engine in a matter of a short period of time (not more than 3 years depending on driving style) while others tend to say if it was tuned correctly there would be no problems and there should be no need to rebuild the engine and it should last as long as it came STOCK unless I go over 10# of boost.

To some of you this might sound like im asking for your prediction on this. Anyone with a 98 LS1 with a supercharger installed IN THE SAME YEAR (preferably the ATI procharger) would be of EXCELLENT help now.

I asked this same question to some s/c ls1 owners but the more response I get the better. Ill try posting in the "internal engine" board as well to get answers from both sides.

This should be a investment for no more than $5500 (hopefully). It would mean a lot to me if I can get some advice. Dont want to regret anything.

Thanks a ton for all of you who can be of assistance.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:15 AM

Re: 8# ATI reliable on LS1 Engine?

Originally posted by 2002_TAWS6
Just wanted some opinions here.

Was thinking about running 8psi ATI and just wanted to know if I will HAVE TO become a part of the "engine rebuild club" later or not?

Heres the setup I was thinking about purchasing:

ATI D-1SC (or P-1SC) 8psi
145 slave cylinder
Good Clutch (havent decided yet)
NGK TR6 spark plugs
Dyno testing and tuning
Injectors will depend on (FMU setup - not decided yet either)

Car is a 2002 TA WS6 6-spd. Has nothing but an airlid, corsa exhaust, slp y-pipe, and some appearance mods.

So would this be "reliable" to my engine or not? By engine I mean EVERYTHING (springs, rods, crankshaft, you name it).

Reason for this post is because I hear a lot of people saying if I were to run boost I would definetly need to rebuild my engine in a matter of a short period of time (not more than 3 years depending on driving style) while others tend to say if it was tuned correctly there would be no problems and there should be no need to rebuild the engine and it should last as long as it came STOCK unless I go over 10# of boost.

To some of you this might sound like im asking for your prediction on this. Anyone with a 98 LS1 with a supercharger installed IN THE SAME YEAR (preferably the ATI procharger) would be of EXCELLENT help now.

I asked this same question to some s/c ls1 owners but the more response I get the better. Ill try posting in the "internal engine" board as well to get answers from both sides.

This should be a investment for no more than $5500 (hopefully). It would mean a lot to me if I can get some advice. Dont want to regret anything.

Thanks a ton for all of you who can be of assistance.
I'll be glad to offer my opinion. I realize how important it is to get feedback before doing something major like a blower. I went through this exact same thing. As you can tell from my sig I just went for it. One MAJOR key though, I only see about 4.5# right now. Later on after I get some internals that will multiply. I really don't know that I would wanna through 8# at hyperpeutic pistons that are I believe at 10.5:1 compression. You have the right idea going with a tune as that is soooo important. I haven't got the chance to get my tuned (no money). I would say get the blower, but don't throw that much boost at it yet. Just my .02. Also, I didn't have time to look at price but how much is the ATI kit??? One option would be to find a nice used blower (what I did) and that would leave you money to get some forged internals. Any way...get the blower, but I wouldn't just throw that much # at it YET. Lemme know what you think
Old 07-29-2003, 03:21 AM

Thanks for the help. Your definetly right feedback is very important. I would definetly start with 4# of boost first and work my way to 8# as I believe spending about $5000 for a 4# is not really worth buying. With 4# it would drop my quarter mile about half a sec that why I started to wonder if 8# is such a huge problem.

ATI kit goes from about $3800 (i think) all the way to $5000 everything depends on what you really want to do with the charger. Prices are very much estimated it varies a lot from performance shops. I dont see myself ever going over 8# with stock internals so I could probably find one for $4200. If I were to do the whole upgrade I would do tuning $500, Charger $4200, 145 slave cylinder $200, Good Clutch $500, NGK TR6 spark plugs $18, Lake wood control arms $84. Total $5502 (not including injectors I think the 4200 for the charger includes the FMU but ill probably go with a Walbro 340 intank pump). So your technically right. It IS EXPENSIVE . Ofcourse if I were to get a used one it would hopefully be at least $700 cheaper but I'd only buy a used one if warranty is still included.

I agree with the fact that hyperpeutic pistons are not advised to handle a lot of extra power load but shouldnt the tuning take care of all the misfires and detonation problems?

Also I noticed your car being a 96 then that must mean you have the LT1 engine wouldnt that be a totally different case? Not that theres anything wrong with it (i actually heard that LT1s could handle more beating anyways). I consider myself still new to all this so I may be a little confused.

What do you think? Thanks for the help. I do really appreciate the feedback.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:13 PM

You could try it, but eventually your going to need forged pistons and lower the static compression ratio, as 10.5:1 is too high for a blower. So be prepared for the worst.
Ed
Old 07-29-2003, 09:54 PM

I would say the practical limit on a stock LS1 is 7#. As a general rule, over 5# boost, you will need injectors/programming & over 7#, you need a fuel pump upgrade.

With a heads/cam swap (lowering compression) you can make big power on the stock bottom end. I recently did one with 10# @ 6700rpm getting over 600rwhp with a mild tune on stock pistons. Yes, that is pushing things a bit, but it is living thus far. It was making 630 with more boost at lower rpm, but chose to tone it down a bit.

This is not to say that I recommend everyone try this, but to let you know what is possible. 7# is the most I will install on a stock motor. You may get some differing opinions here for sure. As they say.... "your results may vary".

Last edited by Lonnie Pavtis; 07-29-2003 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:09 AM

Like, I said I say go with the blower. When I went through this everyone just kinda said "you are gonna blow up". I have no tune right now b/c I'm broke. However only seeing 4.5#. If you have the money INCASE you needed to rebuild, then go ahead and throw more at it. One option would be get a 6 and 8 # pulley and take them to the dyno. That way if you are running a little leaner than the tuner would advise you could just put the 6# on and get it tuned like that for the time being. I COMPLETELY understand how you feel it's kinda pointless to buy a blower and only see 4#. People often tell me this . But I found a good deal on the blower and just went for it. This winter I'm rebuilding the motor and will be raising the boost quite a bit.

Another factor is HOW YOU DRIVE IT. I was told never run it too hard when it's hot. If you wanna get into it wait until you get some open road and can let the temp cool down a little. Just don't rag the hell outta of it and you should be OK for a while with a tune. Although I still wouldn't go over say...6# on stock internals. However, like I said if you have the money for the rebuild don't worry about it.

Finally, what kind of clutch are you talking about doing??? I've actually been asking around b/c my clutch is JUST starting to slip some. I was told Mcleod Twin Disk was the one to get. Downfall...it's 1000, and if you aren't going to do the install yourself . Expensive. Spec's I hear are good, but won't hold a lot of power for long. And a blown LS1 .