Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Is there sets ups that use Long tubes and 1 cat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 11:08 AM

Is there sets ups that use Long tubes and 1 cat?

Im looking for headers for my single cat car. I really want long tubes but have been told long tubes are for dual catted cars.

Is there truth to this or is there ways to get around it?

Last edited by MDZ28; 04-30-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:39 AM

Re: Is there sets ups that use Long tubes and 1 cat?

LTs in a stock engine is a waste of money and will aggravate the hell out of your stock spark plug wires. Better to uncork the y-pipe. I have a 95 and the best gains came from the y-pipe. I had no gain from the catback BTW. I now have a built stroker so I run a custom exhaust. I still have my original Borla y-pipe with Strange high flow cat (single). If interested send me a PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by TitoPR221
LTs in a stock engine is a waste of money and will aggravate the hell out of your stock spark plug wires. Better to uncork the y-pipe. I have a 95 and the best gains came from the y-pipe. I had no gain from the catback BTW. I now have a built stroker so I run a custom exhaust. I still have my original Borla y-pipe with Strange high flow cat (single). If interested send me a PM.

I'm putting a new motor in that is definitely not stock.

I'm assuming you need custom bent exhaust to run long tubes with the stock cat in the stock position?
Old 05-02-2015, 09:53 PM
Administrator

It's virtually impossible to run a Y-pipe and keep a single cat in the stock location with long tubes. The collectors of the LT's will be past the stock cat location, under the front passenger floor. Take a look under the car.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
It's virtually impossible to run a Y-pipe and keep a single cat in the stock location with long tubes. The collectors of the LT's will be past the stock cat location, under the front passenger floor. Take a look under the car.
Fred is correct. Fortunately there are y-pipes with individual high-flow cats (no single cat). You would have to check state law regarding mods to emissions systems.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by TitoPR221
Fred is correct. Fortunately there are y-pipes with individual high-flow cats (no single cat). You would have to check state law regarding mods to emissions systems.
Thanks for the answers I was looking for.

I'm in MD where the stock cat has to remain in the stock position and as far as I know cannot be replaced except under certain instances when the stock cat can no longer perform to spec. Even then I have to replace it with one that passes strict guidelines and I have to be able to prove it.

I'm looking into shorty's as I know they are direct fit with the stock cat. Do either one of you know if BBk's are any good. I started another thread asking about those but no one has replied.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:17 PM

I went with the hooker super comp shorties.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:48 PM

I had hooker super comp shorties, almost a midlength header but less gains than LTs and spark plug wires were much more of a prob to prevent from burning than LTs.
Went to the ceramic coated pacesetter LT and ORY. everything is better, sound, torque, lot of room for plugs and wires.
and that ball and cone thing on the shorty collectors is prob the reason looks small as a coin and everything has to pass thru that. only thing better about the shorties: ground clearance on a lowered car