Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

SLP Y-Pipe good with & hood question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Banned

SLP Y-Pipe good with & hood question

I was thinking about buying the SLP Y-Pipe here SLP Y-Pipe - LS1 Camaro / Firebird (1998-2002)

I plan on installing my SLP LM2 catback this spring and was wondering if this would also be a good add on, i dont plan on having long tubes till maybe late summer or fall, is that allright ? And the only thing else i have that i will be adding on to my '98 z28 is my SLP air lid, and pro 5.0 shifter. Soo how does that combo sound for starting off ? I figure it would have equal air in and air out?

Also i just ordered a stock SS replacement hood from rock auto, because it looks much better than the z28 hood. anyways i was wondering where can i pick up a scoop vent ? Do i want it to be a true functioning hood because i have the slp air lid or get one of those fake vent?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 PM

Re: SLP Y-Pipe good with & hood question

I don't know that you'll gain much over the stock y-pipe with manifolds/stock cats. I'd wait until you get your headers if that is in your plans.

The hood grille should be available to purchase from SLP, though if it's an aftermarket hood I'd buy that company's grille to ensure that it fits in the scoop properly.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:08 PM

I noticed a SOTP difference when I installed my Y-pipe. Already had the Borla cat-back, not sure if I had done the cold air intake yet, maybe just had swiss-cheesed the bottom of the airbox. Seemed to rev a little freer, and have more torque down low. Stainless, too. If you are going to long tubes, I don't know if it would help as much.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
I don't know that you'll gain much over the stock y-pipe with manifolds/stock cats. I'd wait until you get your headers if that is in your plans.

The hood grille should be available to purchase from SLP, though if it's an aftermarket hood I'd buy that company's grille to ensure that it fits in the scoop properly.

Yeah i guess i should wait till headers. For aftermarket cats how does the magnaflow hi flow cats sound ?

I found one at SLP but damn they are expensive as hell. I don't know if it's really an aftermarket hood, it's from rockauto and it came with a GM # Now are the real SS hoods that came from the factory made from steel or fiberglass ? I expect it be steel because i could of bought several aftermarket hoods cheap that were made from fiberglass but i dont want them to end up cracking on me. Soo i want a steel hood. Rockauto couldnt tell me waht meterial it was but said its whatever it is that came from the factory.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Administrator

The stock SS hoods (and the WS6 hoods) were made by SLP from composite (fiberglass plus plastic). The stockers are extremely durable, and not known to crack.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Banned

Well good i'm glad that they are durable and not known to crack. Is it alright to run without the hood vent ? or should i get one that's fake ? I will be running a SLP airlid, soo it's not a ram air, i'm guessing i should get a fake hood vent ?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:33 AM

people do it all the time, it just makes for alot more dirt on the engine.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Banned

Yeah i want a clean engine, i'll be looking for a hood vent then.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:58 PM

We're not talking leaves and mudd, just typical sand or dust that you get daily driving. Occasionally on my WS6 grille, I see a leaf or two, but nothing insane like a bird I found on my Suburban grille.