Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Need exhaust help..

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 04:07 PM

Need exhaust help..

I have a 95 camaro z28. It came with bbk headers when I bought the car. I'm thinking on getting different exaust on. Borla or... now question is will all exaust that I buy will they bolt directly on headers or what is the best set up I should get with the headers I already have?
Old 06-03-2019, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Re: Need exhaust help..

If by “exhaust” you mean a catback system, it should connect directly to the catalytic converter. That assumes your BBK headers are single-cat design, with a Y-pipe that connected to the stock cat in the stock location.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:28 AM

Re: Need exhaust help..

Originally Posted by Robert Dikes
I have a 95 camaro z28. It came with bbk headers when I bought the car. I'm thinking on getting different exaust on. Borla or... now question is will all exaust that I buy will they bolt directly on headers or what is the best set up I should get with the headers I already have?
Are these headers "shorties" or long headers? There is a big difference! If they are the shorter headers, meant to replace the stock exhaust manifolds, they should have no problems bolting up to aftermarket exhaust systems meant to replace the stock systems. I have hooker shorty headers on my LT1 and they bolt up to the factory exhaust, though she has long since had her cat-back upgraded and from there I had to replace the rusted Flowmaster cat-back with a Magnaflow cat-back.

What is the best set-up? Honestly, for a relatively stock exhaust system using shorty headers, I would argue that you are pursuing exhaust sound more than anything! I had the Flowmaster cat-back on my car when I bought it in 2007 and I had to replace that system with my now current Magnaflow. Which do I prefer? The Magnaflow sounded so much better, even with my factory exhaust manifolds which I will soon put them back on the car given my few years of experiencing the trade-offs with my hooker shorties. The shorties make the car sound stroked with the Magnaflow cat-back but performance wise I feel the stock exhaust manifolds were better for low RPM torque but I digress.

So, what kind of BBK headers do you have? Short or long?

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 06-06-2019 at 01:30 AM.