Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Looking for exhuast help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 12:15 PM

Question Looking for exhuast help!

I dont know much about exhaust but i want to get one that sounds nice for my 95 z28. i want it be one that stands out. sounding mean and agressive. i dont know what i should be looking at. any help is great.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Re: Looking for exhuast help!

Need to define exhaust....

Do you want to keep the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds, or go with tubular headers? You will see a decent gain with headers, with a cost anywhere from $250 - $1,200, depending on the quality, and whether they are mild steel or stainless steel, or cera-metallic coated. That's the material cost, you supply the labor. If you need to have someone install them, be prepared.

Do you want to keep the catalytic converter? I would recommend keeping it. There is not much to be gained, and you can have problems with either visual inspection or tailpipe emissions testing if you delete it. All 95's have a single cat, in the Y-pipe, unless the car was an auto trans sold originally in California. They had dual cats.

Are you interested in keeping the current Y-pipe configuration, and replacing the stock catback (everything connected to the catalytic converter on back) with a high flowing catback system? Typically, you get a 3" mandrel bent intermediate pipe, and a high flow, cross-flow muffler, with dual outlets. Again, wide range off price - $250 - $1,000. Stainless steel systems cost more, and last longer. The benefits can be a 10-15HP increase.

If you opt for headers, you can get rid of the Y-pipe configuration or keep it. Getting rid of it means running an exhaust pipe from each header collector to a separate muffler. Going over the rear axle with the left (driver) side exhaust pipe can be a problem.

With a true dual exhaust configuration, there is the option of including an "X" pipe, combining the flow from both header collectors, then splitting it again in a true dual configuration. In all the years people have been doing this, I don't think I have ever seen a test to quantify the gains, if any from an X-pipe configuration.

The simplest exhaust change is to replace the stock cross-flow muffler, but the main change doing this is sound, not power increases.

Last edited by Injuneer; 11-04-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Need to define exhaust....

Do you want to keep the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds, or go with tubular headers? You will see a decent gain with headers, with a cost anywhere from $250 - $1,200, depending on the quality, and whether they are mild steel or stainless steel, or cera-metallic coated. That's the material cost, you supply the labor. If you need to have someone install them, be prepared.

Do you want to keep the catalytic converter? I would recommend keeping it. There is not much to be gained, and you can have problems with either visual inspection or tailpipe emissions testing if you delete it. All 95's have a single cat, in the Y-pipe, unless the car was an auto trans sold originally in California. They had dual cats.

Are you interested in keeping the current Y-pipe configuration, and replacing the stock catback (everything connected to the catalytic converter on back) with a high flowing catback system? Typically, you get a 3" mandrel bent intermediate pipe, and a high flow, cross-flow muffler, with dual outlets. Again, wide range off price - $250 - $1,000. Stainless steel systems cost more, and last longer. The benefits can be a 10-15HP increase.

If you opt for headers, you can get rid of the Y-pipe configuration or keep it. Getting rid of it means running an exhaust pipe from each header collector to a separate muffler. Going over the rear axle with the left (driver) side exhaust pipe can be a problem.

With a true dual exhaust configuration, there is the option of including an "X" pipe, combining the flow from both header collectors, then splitting it again in a true dual configuration. In all the years people have been doing this, I don't think I have ever seen a test to quantify the gains, if any from an X-pipe configuration.

The simplest exhaust change is to replace the stock cross-flow muffler, but the main change doing this is sound, not power increases.
I currently have true dual configuration as far as what my dad said. I plan on doing headers. Stainless steel on all. Id like good sounding and a decent power gain. So i guess that narrows down my search maybe not.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:49 AM
Administrator

If you have a true dual system, it is not stock. The stock 1995 LT1 exhaust is cast iron manifolds, a Y-pipe that connects the outlets of the two manifolds together, and dumps into a single catalytic converter. The converter flows into a single 2-3/4" crimp-bent intermediate pipe, that goes over the rear axle on the passenger side of the car, and bends left into a single cross-flow muffler. The muffler has an outlet, a tail pipe, and a flat/rectangular stainless steel tip on each side, giving the appearance of a dual exhaust, but it is not a true dual exhaust.

This is the stock system, courtesy of Shoebox:

[img][/img]

If your father installed true duals on the car already, there is not much you can do to improve the system.

Last edited by Injuneer; 11-05-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:24 PM

well the tips look like mine. i honestly know nothing about cars. but if i remember correctly i can add a x pipe correct? or is that only with headers? ill try to get you some pics if you want. i just dont have any way of getting underneath it at the moment.
i have a exhaust leak and vacumm leak and im not running on all 8 cylinders and dont have the knowlegde or tools or equipment to fix it. so its just sitting for now

but couldnt i also buy a differnt companies true dual set up? like dynomax, flowmaster, borla...etc.?
or i cant do anything now to get it sounding nice? i have never seen underneath my car so i couldnt tell you what i have.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Administrator

You need to get under the car, and see if what is under there matches the diagram I posted of the STOCK Y-pipe exhaust. It would be very unusual for anyone to go to the trouble of installing a "true dual" exhaust on a basically stock car. A simple 3" catback exhaust, like the MagnaFlow will net you 10 HP and sound a lot better.

You can actually make the same HP with a good catback that you can make with a true dual exhaust. I ran a 4" Mufflex catback, and at 800HP when we took the catback off and piped the headers straight back as duals, there was no HP difference. A buddy of mine had a S/C'd LT1 and was close to 1,000HP with the Mufflex catback, and had the same results when he replaced it with straight pipes. And, we saved about 50# of useless weight by removing the heavy catback.

I modified the diagram above to help you understand what you are looking for under the car.

Last edited by Injuneer; 11-05-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Administrator

There are a couple pics of true duals and an X-pipe in the sticky at the top of the Exhaust forum:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/exh...-598251/page2/

This is my setup:

Old 11-05-2015, 02:37 PM

thanks fred
Old 11-05-2015, 02:42 PM

ok i just went and layed on the ground to see what i could see and i pretty much saw what i see in the diaagram above but not sure about the two pipes at the very front. so im guessing its not true duals....
Old 11-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Administrator

The stock Y-pipe branch on the passenger side comes down and straight back from the passenger side manifold. The driver side branch of the Y-pipe actually wraps around the front of the oil pan to the passenger side, then goes backward and joins the passenger branch of the Y-pipe right in front of the cat.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The stock Y-pipe branch on the passenger side comes down and straight back from the passenger side manifold. The driver side branch of the Y-pipe actually wraps around the front of the oil pan to the passenger side, then goes backward and joins the passenger branch of the Y-pipe right in front of the cat.
I didnt see a pipe on the drivers side. Must have been because i was on passenger side. But what you just said it what mine most lilly is?