Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

header installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:24 PM

header installation

i'm new to the posting here but i've been reading a lot. i know you guys keep saying that installing headers is going to be a PITA but it has to be done, right? haha. i was just wondering if there were any tips you could give me to make it a little easier...and believe me the beer will help! haha. i got the pacesetter headers with emissions and the ORY. my car is in my sig! thanks guys!
Old 01-16-2008, 04:44 PM

it's not that big of a PITA and this is coming from a girl so.... but then again u have a 97 so nevermind lol

the biggest things I found was getting the car high enough. get it HIGH unless you have access to a lift, in that case ur lucky.

spray PB blaster on the old bolts the night before and let them soak.

the next hardest thing if not the most hardest is getting in the header bolts, it helps if there is someone under the car holding the header while you put the bolts in. go from the inside out and just get the threads started, don't tighten them down until all of them are in. and don't force them. hope this helps

oh and change ur spark plugs and do poly or solid motor mounts while ur at it
Old 01-16-2008, 07:14 PM

go here, they have lots of how tos and header install info. Ive been looking for info myself and found it. http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/guides.htm
Old 01-17-2008, 10:23 PM

Replace your motor mounts while your in there... If your not mechanicly inclinded... Pay someone to do it, Take your time, be careful, if you break a bolt off in the head, you probally wont get it out without pulling the head

Good Luck
Old 01-18-2008, 10:06 AM

Since you got emmisions headers, your passenger side one won't go in without jacking up the engine. Use lots of PB Blaster, I got every bolt and nut off without breaking any that way. Swivel joints will be your best friend on this one. I also took off the stock plug wire brackets bolted to the block for some more room.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by 96z28t56
Replace your motor mounts while your in there... If your not mechanicly inclinded... Pay someone to do it, Take your time, be careful, if you break a bolt off in the head, you probally wont get it out without pulling the head

Good Luck

i'm not super mechanically inclined...my dad owns and i work at an auto parts store...he's been working on cars since he could walk. i'm also good friends with the best mechanic in town who's going to pretty much do it for me after hours. we have access to a lift so i have the best starting scenario, haha
Old 01-26-2008, 10:05 PM

I hit ever bolt with PB Blaster every day for about a week before I started... they all came out like a dream... My brother-in-law had a shop do his and they broke like 5 bolts off in the head. Also, DO remove the temperature sending unit first. I dropped the manifold on mine and broke it into a million pieces. Put the dipstick in the freezer overnight before reinstalling it...sand the paint off too... I did, and it slid right in with no problem. And DON'T use the oil pan to jack on the engine; it will be tempting, but don't do it.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:20 PM

soak the manifold bolts nice
make sure you can jack up the car so the wheels are probably about 2 feet off the ground
dont rush / label wires

dont use the pacesetter hardware.. do yourself a favor and get some S.S bolts, i used the pacesetter ones and in 6 months there completely rusted already.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:37 AM

You will have to get the car up VERY high. You will also need to undo the motor mount on th eside you're working on and jack the engine up. I still didn't have enough room for mine and had to undo the k member bolts on that side and pry it down while I was installing the header. If I remember correctly, it took me about 12 hrs. to knock mine out (didn't have a lift and never done it before). Oh ya, take the spark plugs out too.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:41 AM

The first few days of my install the only thing I did was periodically soak the manifold and y-pipe bolts with PB Blaster throughout the day. I went thru several cans of the stuff but by the time the day came to take everything apart, every bolt broke loose with very little effort. If your headers are coated, you may want to cover sharp spots in your engine bay with some rags or even thinly wrap the headers with something so you don't scratch the heck out of them when putting them in.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:05 PM

people say that you have to jack the engine up to get in the passenger side header.. not true. just wrap it up and have a buddie to help you and a lot of patience.. it WILL go in, ive done it. otherwise the hard part is getting the bolts in. one piece of advice would be to get a shorter bolt for the drivers side header.. the second bolt back from the front is hard.. good luck
Old 01-30-2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by wildweasel
And DON'T use the oil pan to jack on the engine; it will be tempting, but don't do it.
Do you have any experience that gives you reason to say not to jack the motor up by the oil pan? I have done it several times and never had a problem.... just use some boards to even the load and it works fine.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by white97T/A
Do you have any experience that gives you reason to say not to jack the motor up by the oil pan? I have done it several times and never had a problem.... just use some boards to even the load and it works fine.
You're right... I just got hasty and didn't pay attention to how I placed my boards; edgewise intead of flat. Stupidity on my part. But it bent so easily that I decided I would never try it again, no mater how careful I was.