Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Are these headers that crappy?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 PM

Are these headers that crappy?!

I went from stock ext. manifolds and cats to slp dual cat shortys and ory and ran nearly the same times! Exact same trap and only hundreth or two difference in e.t. I got them for virtually nothing so I didnt really waste any money or anything but I thought even those headers would be better than stock... On the bright side, the car sounds really bad ***. Are the headers that wortless?? Btw the catback is slp 2otl.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:39 PM

They are shortys, what did you really expect.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 PM

I agree. im tryin to get rid of my shorties for some Hooker LT's.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:33 AM

I had to go aftermarket when the bolt broke off in the head and i needed to pass emissions so i wasn't looking for any real HP gain. The worst part was finding all the exhaust leaks afterwards.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:24 AM

It could have just been an off day at the track also. But you won't get major gains with the shorties, hence the reason alot of people go with mids or LTs.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by GreasyB
They are shortys, what did you really expect.
You might be better off doing a search here before posting that response. This topic has been posted on MANY times.
Not all "shorty" headers are equal. Generally speaking, shorty headers made to bolt up to the stock y-pipe on dual-cat cars aren't worth much, if any power, because the collector is still the stock size. Even most, if not all, shorty headers made for single-cat cars that replaces the y-pipe still have 2.5" collectors. Also understand that by comparing a 1.625" shorty header with a 2.5" collector to a 1.75" long tube with a 3" collector, you're comparing apples and oranges. Obviously the long tubes are going to make more power, but not because the tubes are longer.
There are other more important factors than primary tube length (such as primary size and collector size/length/design) that determine the power producing capabilities of a header.
Primary tube size for a given engine generally determines where peak torque will occur. The bigger the primary tube size, the higher in the RPM band peak torque will occur.
Primary tube length generally determines powerband characteristics. Long tube headers tend to make more torque at and below peak torque than shorties. Conversely, shorty headers tend to make more torque above peak torque than long tubes.
So.....what does all this mean? Let's say we're given two sets of headers. Everything is equal. Both sets of headers have 1.75" primaries with 3" collectors. The only difference is the primary tube length. Again, with the long tubes, you'll have more torque below peak torque RPM (which is probably why most of you who made the switch from shorties to long tubes "felt" like your cars were faster). With shorties, your gains will be above peak torque RPM. You might not "feel" like you gained anything, but you'll probably find you gained quite a bit of trap speed on the track. In fact, you might be FASTER in the quarter with shorties than long tubes.....
This just scratches the surface. There's A LOT more to this thing than saying "All shorty headers suck".
Oh yeah.....there's no such thing as "mid-length" headers. Just because one shorty header has 1-2" more primary length than another doesn't make them a "mid-length" header. There's shorties and long tubes, end of story.

Last edited by onebadponcho; 01-30-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:36 PM

you want have lost some of your gains with an exhaust leak, check that. Did you get any tuning afterwards? Did you do plugs and wires along with them?