Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Header Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 02:01 PM

Header Help

Hey guys. im looking around at headers right now. Ive got a stock 93 z28 with a magnaflow cat-back. thats it. are there any types of headers that work well with this year? should i get long tubes? or shorties? how hard of an install job is this? any trouble that i might run into? any input is appreciated guys, thank you.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:56 PM

Re: Header Help

any kind of input really helps guys. i know the 93 has some differences than the 94-97 models. are there 93 specific headers?
Old 10-04-2013, 07:52 AM

Try doing a search, I found everything i need to know about headers from this board and never asked one question. Its all been asked and all been answered. Good luck, maybe post your results when your done, those are interesting to read.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Yes, there are 93 LT1-specific headers. The only real difference is the location of the AIR and EGR connections. Basically, the passenger side header has the AIR and EGR connections combined in a single connection, where the 94/95 passenger side header has individual connections. If you are deleting AIR and EGR, you can use 94/95 "non-emissions" headers.

There are short, medium and long tube headers available. In general, the long tubes will produce the best results, but they have the added issue of being a tight fit and reducing ground clearance on the driver's side. The most popular long tubes are Pacesetters. Decent quality and performance for relatively low $$$. If you want the highest quality, look at Kooks.

In my experience, shorties offer the least performance gain. I had a set of JBA shorties, and they were good for low end torque, but really seemed to strangle the engine above 5,000 RPM. Currently running AS&M mediums, but they have been significantly reworked to allow true dual exhaust, rather than the typical Y-pipe that wraps around the front of the oil pan. But they are the best of the mediums, in my opinion, and have been shown to be capable of supporting big HP.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Yes, there are 93 LT1-specific headers. The only real difference is the location of the AIR and EGR connections. Basically, the passenger side header has the AIR and EGR connections combined in a single connection, where the 94/95 passenger side header has individual connections. If you are deleting AIR and EGR, you can use 94/95 "non-emissions" headers.

There are short, medium and long tube headers available. In general, the long tubes will produce the best results, but they have the added issue of being a tight fit and reducing ground clearance on the driver's side. The most popular long tubes are Pacesetters. Decent quality and performance for relatively low $$$. If you want the highest quality, look at Kooks.

In my experience, shorties offer the least performance gain. I had a set of JBA shorties, and they were good for low end torque, but really seemed to strangle the engine above 5,000 RPM. Currently running AS&M mediums, but they have been significantly reworked to allow true dual exhaust, rather than the typical Y-pipe that wraps around the front of the oil pan. But they are the best of the mediums, in my opinion, and have been shown to be capable of supporting big HP.
how much worse does ground clearance really get? i wouldnt imagine it could be THAT bad(i hope). definitly going to look around at pacesetters now. would it be easier to just buy a 93 specific header? or should i just delete the EGR/AIR and get whatever else?

what do you guys think of these?
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...4072C2239.html
all id need at that point would be a y pipe right?

Last edited by Shemp 5; 10-04-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:45 PM

Like most things, you typically get what you pay for. I ended up saving for the best (to me) and did it right one time, instead of going through a couple cheaper sets. I installed coated stainless Kooks long tubes, and they have been perfect. I am sill running a stock height suspension, and the only time I have clearance issues is with those BIG speed bumps you see in shopping centers... I just avoid them. Other than that I have never touched down with mine. Almost 3 years later they still look like new and have yet to spring any leaks. I went with the full AIR/EGR with the high flow cats, and 3" Y-pipe, and performance was very noticeable. I had many other mods made at the same time, and then had the PCM dyno tuned. If you go to the work/$$ of adding headers, spend the extra money for a good tune to optimize you new addition.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by JETMAN95Z28
Like most things, you typically get what you pay for. I ended up saving for the best (to me) and did it right one time, instead of going through a couple cheaper sets. I installed coated stainless Kooks long tubes, and they have been perfect. I am sill running a stock height suspension, and the only time I have clearance issues is with those BIG speed bumps you see in shopping centers... I just avoid them. Other than that I have never touched down with mine. Almost 3 years later they still look like new and have yet to spring any leaks. I went with the full AIR/EGR with the high flow cats, and 3" Y-pipe, and performance was very noticeable. I had many other mods made at the same time, and then had the PCM dyno tuned. If you go to the work/$$ of adding headers, spend the extra money for a good tune to optimize you new addition.
i wish i had the money to spend on quality headers like kooks. but i cant justify spending 1000 or so on new headers. ive got college bills to pay and whatnot. thats the reason im not doing a cam or anything, too much cash for a broke college kid :P. pacesetters seem to be the best i can really do right now. and nobody seems to complain about them. next weekend will be a cai while im home for the weekend. may as well