Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Loud mouth too loud, go figure.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:17 AM

Loud mouth too loud, go figure.

When I was younger (17) I thought the loudmouth was awesome. Now that I have long tubes, heads and cam, it is waaaaaaay to loud. I bought a power stick chambered muffler and out it in place of the resinator, but it didn't change anything really, maybe a little drone.

Is there any way to salvage this exhaust system and quiet it down with a muffler? Or is it time to scrap the exhaust and start over?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:40 AM

Re: Loud mouth too loud, go figure.

I think some round mufflers will fit in the resonators place, but they will still be kind of loud due to the straight thru design. I was going to put a flowmaster powerflo muffler in mine but its a 6" diameter and I wasn't sure if it would fit. I am selling my loudmouth and going to a custom kinda design exhaust
Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by 94Zee28
I think some round mufflers will fit in the resonators place, but they will still be kind of loud due to the straight thru design. I was going to put a flowmaster powerflo muffler in mine but its a 6" diameter and I wasn't sure if it would fit. I am selling my loudmouth and going to a custom kinda design exhaust
What I have is also a straight muffler in place of the resonator. I don't see how a round muffler would do any better.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:10 AM

The only thing about the flowmaster that I liked was it was a quieter muffler, but I didn't want to spend $140 to find out if it was or if it would fit. I am doing something like this but with a flowmaster 40 series delta flow in place of the magnaflow muffler. Single in/dual out and have one pipe 180 and then out the passenger side

Old 06-21-2013, 10:22 AM

Sell it, someone would probably like that powerstick loud mouth on a more stockish car. Then get duals or maybe GMMG. If you want quiet get Magnaflow, 2OTL, Spintech, Mufflex, or something to that effect.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:54 AM

Anyone have experience with the SLP superflo conversion on a h/c car? Its the drone that kills it. Icant drive spirited at all.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:22 PM

dude I'm in the same exact boat as you. Switched from shorties to LT and its obnoxious. I'm going to end up just doing a true dual with Borla ProXS dumped before the axle.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:19 PM

I had the same issue on my LS1 car. LM1 is ok with manifolds & cats but with headers it's just too much. I left the LM1 resonator in place and added a pair of 18" Moroso Spiralflo mufflers just before the exhaust tips (there's just enough room) and it sounds awesome. A little rumble at idle and a gurgle while cruising and it's throaty when you get on it with almost no pops on deceleration.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:36 PM

Ordered the powerflo conversion, will post a video before and after.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Banned

If it's too loud then you're to old.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:19 PM

Yeah your gettin old !! * fast-n-loud * Not quite & fast
if the tone is bothering you so much turn up the radio !!!!!!
Old 06-22-2013, 09:43 PM

Trust me, I like it loud. When I was not a h/c car it was great. Its the part hrottle drone that sounds like a trumpet hooked up to an elephants butt now with the h/c set up.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:47 PM

The volume with my exhaust is totally fine during daylight hours, but I feel like a ******* when I drive my car after midnight (which is a lot).

The cam certainly didn't help.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:55 PM

Very interested in hearing your LT1 with the Powerflo conversion and LTs. I'm still running a 2otl that I pulled off my old z, but it looks a bit odd with only one set of pipes under a TA bumper. I don't like the sound of much else, but am curious to see if the newer Powerflo retains the cool sound of the old SLP stuff. Looking forward to clips, as there are none anywhere currently.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by TD95Z
Very interested in hearing your LT1 with the Powerflo conversion and LTs. I'm still running a 2otl that I pulled off my old z, but it looks a bit odd with only one set of pipes under a TA bumper. I don't like the sound of much else, but am curious to see if the newer Powerflo retains the cool sound of the old SLP stuff. Looking forward to clips, as there are none anywhere currently.
Car sounds great, I will post up a vid tomorrow.

That 1/4 throttle rasp is almost 90% gone. Still a little bit, but in a good way.

I was worried it would kill the lumpy awesome idle of the cam, but it didn't at all.

It has a deeper tone, and sounds more like sound, than noise if that makes sense.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud mouth too loud, go figure.