Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Cracked Head Gasket/New Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 02:00 PM

Cracked Head Gasket/New Headers

Have a cracked head gasket so while we are fixing that want to get new headers and get rid of the stock ones. Have no idea what kind to get. Just want something cost effective thats a direct fit that I won't have to do much too with the exhaust system.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2016, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Re: Cracked Head Gasket/New Headers

Are you in a location subject to visual checks for emissions compliance? That will determine, to some extent, what your options are.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:04 PM

Unfortunately yes live 40 miles north of Atlanta so we do have the emissions unless your car is over 25 years old.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:00 PM
Administrator

With headers, the critical part of an emissions check is the "visual" part. First, if they look for the emissions certification tag, you have to make sure what you buy is CARB approved (many states reference the California approved list), with a CARB-EO tag welded to one of the primaries. I've lost track of who still makes CARB approved headers for these cars.

Emission legal headers will have connections for the stock EGR and AIR systems. Typically they are "shorty" or mid-length headers that come with a Y-pipe, and connect to the inlet of the catalytic converter. Simplest installation.

The best "street" headers are long-tube type. They will need a Y-pipe to match, but the headers are so long the cat has to be moved back a bit. Technically relocating the cat violates Federal emissions law. But not all states enforce Federal law, and even if they do, will they know the cat has been moved? But you aren't going to find long-tube headers with a CARB certification tag.

Might want to find some locals who have similar cars to see what they have done. We have "regional" forums the cover various states, but not a lot of traffic on the regional forums any more.

If all you need is a tailpipe emission check, generally no problems with headers if you keep the cat, and the EGR and AIR systems.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:11 PM

Thank you for all this information.