Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Wierd rear end noise...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 04:12 AM

Wierd rear end noise...

Ok so slow right hand turns only on decel and some times coast I get a sound that I can only describe as wheel rub noise only thing is its coming from the diff. It goes away with any acel or positive pedal. I also get a sort of vibration at around 75+ kinda like the 80s crap balanced drive shafts...
I guess the previous owner took it back to the shop where the gears where swapped and they said its all good. But I know this is not ordinary aftermarket gear noise. Besides the noise the housing is leaking(more of a seep) the pinion seal is also leaking.

My guess is the backlash in the pinion is too tight but Im not a rear end guy.
Could it be the torsen wyrm gear?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:37 PM

Re: Wierd rear end noise...

Could be a very tight posi unit causing wheel scrub on turns. Another possibility is the rotor could be lightly rubbing the backing plate or caliper bracket.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:44 PM

no the rear also makes the noise when lightly turning or changing lanes.
the funny thing is when i am turning right on say an off ramp or on ramp if i keep my foot into it (even lightly) it doesnt make the noise. also if i idle around it it wont make the noise, its kinda in between, if i let off the gas inbetween power and coast I get the buzz from the rear. It is worse when in a parking lot going slow. It does not make the noise turning left or going straight.

I take that back at about 75+ just afer I let off I get the noise but real brief.
I also have a decent shake in the drive line at that speed that goes away in 5th and 6th at the same speed.about 80 plus I cant seem to rid the car of the shake. since it goes away it leads me to believe drive shaft or along those lines and not an unbalanced tire as this would not go away in any gear if it were a weight from the tire.

With 410 rear would it be common to throw a weight from the drive line?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:42 AM

Hey man did u ever figur out what ur issue was? Im having alot of rear end noise its louder when i let off the gas it sounds like a grinding , hard to explain, the previous owner put 4.10's in it ive never heard aftermarkrt gears b4, but i dont think it shoukd b this noisy, i replaced axle bearing thinking it was them but no help, my carrier bearings,looked ok so im kinda,lost i do get a vibration at speeds above 75 so im jus not sure where to start. Any info would b awesome.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Do you still have the stock steel driveshaft? Vibration at 75 MPH is a common problem with 4.10's. It puts the DS rpm at its critical frequency. An aluminum replacement (1LE, LS1) will solve the problem.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:27 PM

I'm not sure if it's stock or not, it's not a 2 pcs drive shaft like I've read some are, how could I tell? And any advice on my noisy rearend? Is there anyway to tell if it's my pinion bearing is bad?
Old 03-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Only the V6 4th Gen cars got a 2-piece DS. And even those became 1-piece around 1999.

If it's steel it will be rusty, and a magnet will stick to it. If it's aluminum, it will have a gray oxidized surface, and a magnet will not stick.

Have you had the rear end noise on coast since you bought the car, or is this something that only started recently?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:22 PM

Its had the noise since i bought it about a month ago. the ds is not rusty but ill do the magnet test tomorrow to b sure.