Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Why do converters fail?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:29 PM

Why do converters fail?

I've been wading through a ton of posts about converters across a couple of boeards and it allways comes out the same, "Converter A is crap buy converters B or C" but I never find a why. So what I am hoping for is some answeres without personal opinion rather experience.

I'd like to know what converter you used, what failed and why. Obviously some guys don't add coolers or get a stall that isn't designed for their application so I'd just like to weed out those stories.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:10 PM

Many times it starts with a needle bearing failure. This allows metal contamination, because parts make contact that usually shouldn't. Some failures are caused by the converter "balooning". this essentially means the converter gains much more end play than it should have. I've seen the turbine hubs break in GM converters. This will usually make it neccessary to rev the engine to get any movement.
The most common failure in a high stall lock-up converter is usually the lock-up clutch, itself. When a 9.5" converter is used, you have to make the clutch a smaller diameter. Stock clutches are 12". the smaller you make it, the less surface apply area the clutch has. The less apply area/holding ability, the harder it is on the clutch.
obviously some converters are more reliable than others. I can also assure you that price isn't always a reflection of how good a converter is. We've seen an ALARMING amount of failures in one of the most popular (most expensive) brands lately.

Frank
CPT
Old 04-21-2008, 05:08 PM

I have experience with 2 converter companies.

Fuddle- Horrible customer service, I never installed the converter because by the time it finally got to me I already had the yank installed.
Yank- Worked great for a little over a year until I broke the lock-up clutch. Other than that, it worked great.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by LT-x7
I have experience with 2 converter companies.

Fuddle- Horrible customer service, I never installed the converter because by the time it finally got to me I already had the yank installed.
Yank- Worked great for a little over a year until I broke the lock-up clutch. Other than that, it worked great.
If you don't mind me asking what converter from yank were you using?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by red1984
If you don't mind me asking what converter from yank were you using?
SS3600
Old 04-28-2008, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by 12SCNDZ
Many times it starts with a needle bearing failure. This allows metal contamination, because parts make contact that usually shouldn't. Some failures are caused by the converter "balooning". this essentially means the converter gains much more end play than it should have. I've seen the turbine hubs break in GM converters. This will usually make it neccessary to rev the engine to get any movement.
The most common failure in a high stall lock-up converter is usually the lock-up clutch, itself. When a 9.5" converter is used, you have to make the clutch a smaller diameter. Stock clutches are 12". the smaller you make it, the less surface apply area the clutch has. The less apply area/holding ability, the harder it is on the clutch.
obviously some converters are more reliable than others. I can also assure you that price isn't always a reflection of how good a converter is. We've seen an ALARMING amount of failures in one of the most popular (most expensive) brands lately.

Frank
CPT
The needle bearing was how my Vig 3200 died..Also took out all the expensive parts in my tranny....