Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

What's involved in replacing spider gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 10:55 PM

What's involved in replacing spider gears

Broke two teeth on the spiders gears. Need advice on replacing them. The rear is the stock 10 bolt.

Kris
Old 06-04-2004, 11:38 PM

Get a new posi... or a 12-bolt.

Only Auburn units can be rebuilt from what I've read.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:47 AM

I broke the two pinion gears here's a link to some parts Pinion Gear Service Kit

Anybody purchase these?

Kris
Old 06-05-2004, 12:59 AM

It only looks intimidating.. buy the 2 new gears and take your centershaft and soak them in gear oil for a while. Then take one gear and put it on the bottom, make sure the washer is facing down.

rotate the two axle gears (clockwise right) until the gear you just replaced is on top. Then rotate it a bit more until the back side is near the pinion gear. (you should see the top of the gear straight in front of you, watch the washer as it likes to hang on the pinion gear) Now slide the pinion shaft in.

Now is where it gets to be trial and error. You have to position the second gear precislely in a place where you can put it on the "side" (gear facing straight in, washer facing you) of the two axle gears and after rotation (right clockwise) the two gears are straight up and down where they are supposed to be. Again watch the washers, they like to hang, you might have to re-oil under them so they dont come off. Once you get the correct placement of the second gear, (sometimes you rotate everything and your off only a tooth) and rotate it, you will know.
Then just reinstall the bolt and torque to specs 13#'s I believe.

It's very hard to describe, but that's the jist.

once again some good advice from S n S.. j/k

Last edited by Bone Daddy; 06-05-2004 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:49 AM

I pulled the center shaft but the ring gear is in the way of the spring retainer. I think I might have to pull the carrier then remove the ring gear to get the spring retainer out so I can remove the pinion gears, or is there an easier way.

Kris
Old 06-05-2004, 01:52 AM

well I instructed you on an open diff (like mine) I have no experience with a LSD, I'm afraid.

Old 06-05-2004, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by Boned Daddy
once again some good advice from S n S.. j/k
yet another great post by BD (whoever that is )

You will absoultely need to pull the ring unless the spider gears are REALLY cracked to pieces. (and they're falling out)

Trust me, I've blown two of these damn things. You can barely get them out of the carrier with the ring removed. Unfortunately, there are 4 gears (2 spiders and 2 axle) in there and it's pretty rare to only crack 2 teeth without chipping them all up in the process. If you have an Auburn unit you can use the kit above, but I'd make sure that's the ONLY damage you can see before putting bills down for a kit that may not replace everything.

Last time I checked Auburn also had an exchange service for their diffs if you didn't want to do it yourself, or it had more damage than the parts above could supply.

Getting the spring-loaded clutches out probably takes special tools. I'd give Auburn's tech line a call and see if they can help. I never had to pull a spring pack... they tend to disassemble on their own when I'm involved.

Last edited by Steve in Seattle; 06-05-2004 at 02:20 AM.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:19 AM

Anybody know what the torque spec on the bearing caps are?

And I am guessing that if I keep track of the shims for the carrier it should be just a matter of reinstalling the shims in there proper spot and I'll be good to go.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:54 AM

Broke a little more than I first thought so...I guess a new posi it is.

Kris
Old 06-08-2004, 12:08 AM

Sorry to hear it man. Let us know how it goes.

BTW, what else went on you?

My first "pop" toasted the axle gears, spider gears, ring & pinion (nicks from all the chucks whipping around inf there), the ABS reluctor ring, and yes, I even tweaked the axle splines... Not a cheap fix. Second rebuild was much easier, only one spider/axle gear cracked, and it basicly wedged itself tight. Ring, pinion, axles, ABS, everything was good. Go figure.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by SC97TA
Anybody know what the torque spec on the bearing caps are?

And I am guessing that if I keep track of the shims for the carrier it should be just a matter of reinstalling the shims in there proper spot and I'll be good to go.
Torque on the bearing caps is 60 - 65 ft*lbs . I just had to replace a spider gear in my Auburn diff before I installed the 4.10's into my car (*correction*, my Dad did the work).

In terms of the shims, you're right.....keep them on the same side as they came out, and they should re-install where they came from and everything should be lined up correctly.

Sorry to hear the posi is beyond repair, but at least you'll know that everything is new again!
Old 06-12-2004, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by Steve in Seattle
BTW, what else went on you?
One of the axle gears (one tooth broke) same as each of the spiders. Where the axle gear contacts the carrier it had some unusual wear too.

Did alot of thinking on what to do fix the 10 bolt or go to a stronger unit like a 12 bolt or 9". Figured that if I fix the 10 bolt it will just fail again. So I ordered a Strange 12 bolt today with upgraded posi and 3.73 gears should be here in 4 weeks or so.

Could have had a Moser in a week but I like the idea of the Strange being dyno tested. Also seems to be less problems with failures and gear whine with the Strange than Moser, but I guess I'll find out so enough.

Kris