Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

What fluid in a Dana 60?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:23 PM

Question What fluid in a Dana 60?

I thought there would be threads on this already, but I couldn't find any.

My rear is broken in now, about 7500 miles total. I have been running the Lucas 85w 140 non-synthetic I think it is... Strange recommended it.

Can I go synthetic now, or should I never do that? I remember Strange saying not to, but they wouldn't tell me why. Wouldn't synthetic make everything last longer?

I am running the true track cone style auburn posi, if that matters.

I just want to know what people are running and what works.

I am gonna pull the cover off and just inspect the gears and everything to make sure things are wearing well.

THANKS!!!
Cody
Old 06-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Administrator

What is "broken"? Didn't your Strange come from the factory with the lube already installed?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What is "broken"? Didn't your Strange come from the factory with the lube already installed?
"broken in" as in I have lots of miles on it can I run synthetic now? You know, like a new engine has to get broken in and the rings get a chance to wear into the jugs before you put super slippery synthetic fluid in it.

Yes, it came with fluid, and after 500 miles I changed it out to the lucas stuff as recommended by Strange.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by firebirdStud
"
after 500 miles I changed it out to the lucas stuff as recommended by Strange.
^^^^This kind of says it all. If they thought that there was an advantage to using synth. Then that would be their recomendation.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by AL SS590 M6
^^^^This kind of says it all. If they thought that there was an advantage to using synth. Then that would be their recomendation.
well, that can be decieving though. There is a reason GM doesn't start with a well tuned car.. they de-tune it so that it lasts longer... but it doesn't run as efficient.

Same with the rearend in this case. The thicker gear oil would take up additional slack in the rear and make it quieter, as well as provide cheap insurrance that it doesn't break. Know what I mean or am I just being dumb and I should just put the lucas back in it?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:17 AM

What makes you think that synth is thicker? Rear end fluid is all about what is called high pressure additives which get between the gears and cushion them from touching each other. The dino gear oil works so well that in non-posi rears that the oil change recommendation is never.
Oil recommendations for posi rears are all about the method of making it keep torque to both wheels, keeping the noise down, and making it last a long time.
Synth may be too slippery to let the cones drive both axles as designed. Don't know. Maybe Strange doesn't know. But they do know from years of experience that dino oil works just fine.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:52 PM

what is dino oil? is that the organic stuff? or what lucas sells? just confused on the term..
Old 06-18-2010, 04:33 PM

Lucas is conventional with additives.... Don't know if Lucas make syn... Always go with what is recommended.... JMO...
Old 06-18-2010, 04:46 PM

Yes. Dino oil is non-synthetic oil. It comes out of the ground as crude oil and is refined. Have you ever seen the Beverly Hillbillies? (black gold, texes tea). Some call it dino oil because they believe it was formed from decomposed dinosaurs, animals, and plants. Gasoline, diesel fuel, Jet fuel, etc. are sometimes called fossil fuels. There are many other theories as to how oil was formed.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by RUDEDOG
Yes. Dino oil is non-synthetic oil. It comes out of the ground as crude oil and is refined. Have you ever seen the Beverly Hillbillies? (black gold, texes tea). Some call it dino oil because they believe it was formed from decomposed dinosaurs, animals, and plants. Gasoline, diesel fuel, Jet fuel, etc. are sometimes called fossil fuels. There are many other theories as to how oil was formed.
LMAO! Yeah I know where the fossil fuels come from, but didn't know that organic oil was called dino oil. But now I know. Thanks!