Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

tranny jumping around...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:37 PM

Exclamation tranny jumping around...

ok i got a problem last time this happened i changed my tranny mount and it was fine..this time i changed it and it still is doing it? i heard i need to get a relocation for the bar that goes from the tranny to my rearend...and no its not the drive shaft..lol i think this is the right part to post this...i was also told i should upgrade my tranny mount to the urpolsih thing the red harder mount..anyone know what the relocation thing is called and wree i can find it? or anyone else have this problem and how did u fix it? jumps around realy bad when i burnout and stuff... thank you
Old 02-06-2009, 03:49 AM

I think you mean a torque arm which uses the tunnel brace mounts instead of it bolting to the tranny. I have a Spohn one and it's a great solid piece and relieves the stress off the tranny tail shaft during hard launches and accelleration, however that is not your problem. Your tranny should not jump around at all even with the stock torque arm. I would suggest looking at your tranny mount again. If that is good then motor mounts.
I can't remember where I read, but the best bang-for-the-buck tranny mount is the one for LSx applications. You'll need the mount nut to go along with it. It's what I have and works perfect.

P.S. This is really a question that belongs in the drivetrain forum.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Have you actually observed the tranny "jumping around", or are you just assuming that because there is a clunking or rattle from under the tunnel, that its the tranny? Could be a worn bushing in the torque arm mount.

You might want to add some basic info to your signature - year, model, engine, tranny, and any major mods. What works to fix the problem on a stockish engine might not work to well on an 800HP S/C engine. Without providing people with all the info up front, you reduce your chances of getting meaningful answers.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I think you mean a torque arm which uses the tunnel brace mounts instead of it bolting to the tranny. I have a Spohn one and it's a great solid piece and relieves the stress off the tranny tail shaft during hard launches and accelleration, however that is not your problem. Your tranny should not jump around at all even with the stock torque arm. I would suggest looking at your tranny mount again. If that is good then motor mounts.
I can't remember where I read, but the best bang-for-the-buck tranny mount is the one for LSx applications. You'll need the mount nut to go along with it. It's what I have and works perfect.

P.S. This is really a question that belongs in the drivetrain forum.
Originally Posted by Injuneer
Have you actually observed the tranny "jumping around", or are you just assuming that because there is a clunking or rattle from under the tunnel, that its the tranny? Could be a worn bushing in the torque arm mount.

You might want to add some basic info to your signature - year, model, engine, tranny, and any major mods. What works to fix the problem on a stockish engine might not work to well on an 800HP S/C engine. Without providing people with all the info up front, you reduce your chances of getting meaningful answers.

thank both of you iam check the tranny mount again and hope its not my motor mounts.. wish me luck..
Old 02-06-2009, 05:46 AM

o and i havent seen my tranny but my shifter in the car is jumping all around but it stayes in gear....
Old 02-06-2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by LT1PERFORMANCE
o and i havent seen my tranny but my shifter in the car is jumping all around but it stayes in gear....
all around or mainly up/down? Regardless....sounds like the trans mount.