Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Spec stage 3 owners inside -->

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 12:04 PM

From everything i've read about the Spec clutches, it's pretty much a guess as to whether you get a good one or not. About 50% of people have god luck with them, while the other 50% hate them.
With that said when i do my T-56 swap i am either going with the SLP clutch and pp or with a McLeod single disk and LT4 pp. My .02
Old 12-15-2003, 12:14 PM

Well thermwood1, i have "read" that as well and want to hear from OWNERS of the clutch to clear it up. Out of like 10 people in this post atleast 9 said they haven't had any problems so i'm thinkin spec finally got their stuff together and are making good clutches.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:17 PM

That's cool, i would like to know myself. Especially from the ones with the newer style clutch. I c have been contemplating this issue for a month or so now, and still haven't made up my mind.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by jonaddis84
Yeah I dont know where this cheap spring stuff really places in their line of clutches. Never had a problem and have installed 3 on other cars without a problem yet. Possible these weak springs are on their old clutches or something? Their pressure plates are awesome in my opinion, stock clutch pressure, but its obvously got more pressure than stock. My buddy has a centerforce and the pedal feel is hard as hell.
The clutches that I went through were of their new design. There are some people that aren't having too many problems with them, however, I would probably agree with Thermwood1 on this that its about 50-70% of the customers don't have problems. This however, from a business perspective, is terrible, even 95% product quality is bad in business. I actually made some calls and visited a local clutch builder/dealer and this is what I found out about the clutches.

The pressure plate is NO different than the stock one, other than it is painted blue, unless you get their "lightened PP" then it is simply the LT4 PP. The sprung center sections are the same exact part that they use on their 4-cyl clutches, NO difference, this is the reason the springs look so small and are prone to breaking. The clutches are made in China.

If Spec would revise the center spring sections and design a section with heavier duty springs that were dependable, then I would consider buying one again, because the rest of the clutch disk is fine, its just the low quality springs that they use. When my 2nd one went out, they tried to talk me into buying an unsprung Stage 2 C4 clutch or moving up to the Stage 4 unsprung disc, however, I wanted streetability out of my car, so I decided just to go back to the stock clutch for now.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:01 PM

interesting... So their pp is the same exact one as a stock one, i know some verlo co. or something like that holds the pat. for the pp. so if the pp is the same how do they hold so much more power? Is it just the friction disk then? Would it be cheaper then to buy a lt4 pp and mcleod single disk then like thermwood said?
Old 12-16-2003, 05:30 AM
Banned

I gotta agree on the new stage 3 having weak springs... Let me give you an example...

OK I speak from experience here cause i've been thru many different clutches..

First look at the CENTERFORCE you will see how big the springs are in this disk

Now look at the NEW SPEC STAGE 3 you will see that it's a very nice clutch but the problem as kgkern01 said is that the springs are TOO SMALL... I recently just pulled my stage 3 out after 7800 miles and the metal plate that holds the springs in the center section is starting to crack in some spots BUT SPEC having the great customer service that they do has offered to replace it FREE of charge

Also you could try their STAGE 5 if you don't wanna worry about it ever breaking I got one and I didn't last a day! I ain't gonna lie that thing was INSANE. It was a TOTAL ON/OFF deal, wheres the stage 3 is TOTALLY streetable IMO

hope that helps
Old 12-16-2003, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by zx1216
interesting... So their pp is the same exact one as a stock one, i know some verlo co. or something like that holds the pat. for the pp. so if the pp is the same how do they hold so much more power? Is it just the friction disk then? Would it be cheaper then to buy a lt4 pp and mcleod single disk then like thermwood said?
I'm not sure about the cost of the LT4 PP and McLeod disc, but that is probably a very good combo to go with.

InjectedSS, have to give you credit for at least trying that Stage 5, there is no way I could do that. I figure the soild hub Stage 2 that they offered me would be pretty much on/off as well.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by kgkern01
I'm not sure about the cost of the LT4 PP and McLeod disc, but that is probably a very good combo to go with.

InjectedSS, have to give you credit for at least trying that Stage 5, there is no way I could do that. I figure the soild hub Stage 2 that they offered me would be pretty much on/off as well.
hehehe, it was WICKED man lemme tell ya I was just sick and tired of breaking clutches left and right. They don't like to hold up to the 1.4 60's at the track so I was like gimme the stage 5 dammit It's nasty though dude I could NEVER use that thing on the street and I'm a VERRYYY tolerable person when it comes to things being streetable
Old 12-16-2003, 07:28 PM

I don't have a spec clutch, just a stock flywheel, stock LT1 PP w/the McCleod 7500 rpm disk. No problems at all, just spinning tires. This disk has hints of chatter at low speeds, but it is totally streetable. Haven't tried slicks with it yet, but I imagine it would be fine.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:33 PM

Where do you get a stock lt1/ 1t4 pp, i'm guessing jason c. can get me the best price? What about the mcleod disk, where is the best place to get one of those.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:20 AM

I haven't priced it out yet myself. But, i thought someone on the board said the LT4 pp from Jasn C. was between $200-250, I was thinking around $208 but don't remember.

As for the McLeod single disk, i know Thunder Racing carries them for around $140, but i haven't checked anywhere else.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:53 PM

Hola FBuds,

I also have a SPEC Stage III 6-Puck Carbon/Kevlar Disk Clutch with a SPEC Aluminum Billet Flywheel. For mating purposes of course. No complaints, you just have to be REALLY patient for those first 600 miles. It's all about the break in period, and you WILL know when it's broken in. *chirping 2nd becomes the norm and the 2-3 shift is just as nice when applied with enough force* So far after 2,600miles, still cherry, and grabs/bites harder than my PitBull ever will. Stage III is definately streetable as you can actually *IF APPLIED GENTLY/PERFECTLY* disengage the clutch without using the gas pedal to get going. Of course this applies to a level surface, as 3800 pounds is a little heavy on a incline.

But also have faith that this clutch was definately built with the drag strip in mind. Line Lock NOT needed.

Ruben F.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:12 PM

I have a LT4 pressure plate that i bought from SLP, has slp logo on it, and mcleod disc and stock flywheel
all with only 5000 miles on it for sale. no track use on this clutch
flywheel looks like it was never used.

I want $250 for the whole thing anyone interested e-mail me.

Rob

Last edited by 96Z28SS; 12-17-2003 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:03 PM

Spec stage 4 is an unsprung design...while the stage 5 is unsprung with an iron disc? I have the stage 3 ceramic but i blew my ringlands...when i get the 383 in (already bought it and ported heads) i'll find out how it does.

Joe
Old 12-18-2003, 01:30 AM

I have used both the Stage 3 new design carbon and the new Stage 4 unsprung disk. I have to say that the stage 3 carbon is very streetable (IMO) after about 2000miles of breaking in. There is a trick that I do to slip it during break in period - basically I rev it to about 1500rpm to slip the clutch where the RPM will drop then rev it up again to 1500rpm and let the clutch go all the way. The reverse will not get much better though. Currently, the latest design is actually Stage 3 six pucks with the X-pads. It now comes with only one material.

On the other hand, the Stage 4 unsprung disk, to my suprise, is a lot more streetable than the Stage 3 carbon even without breaking it in! If you are making over 500rwhp and planning to get the stage 3, I would highly recommend getting the Stage 4 instead. With the Stage 4 there will be no springs, and you won't have to worry that the spring housing will break. The only issue some people might have is that it engages slightly higher up on the clutch pedal.

Just my experience.

Quick Reply: Spec stage 3 owners inside -->