Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Spec stage 3 owners inside -->

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 04:09 PM

Spec stage 3 owners inside -->

Hey, i'm thinking about going with a spec stage 3 clutch because mine is allmost dead. I have heard mixed reviews about this clutch but i would like to hear what OWNERS only have to say. I don't need to hear about your friends cousins clutch. I know about the center springs and all and don't have the cash for the street twin, so what do i do? BTW: i'm going to run a cc306 and possibly a 150 shot of n2o
Old 12-14-2003, 08:09 PM

Been holding just great for over a yr now in my car..No chatter at all and it doesnt slip..

Cody
Old 12-14-2003, 09:07 PM

i heard it was the earlier design of the stage 3 that they where having problems with but they redid it & went with 6 pucks on the clutch disc itself & haven't heard anything since.

i have the newer designed one & it is great the only thing i don't like is the on/off feeling when u let the clutch out
Old 12-14-2003, 09:10 PM

Had a stage 3 kevlar 6puck, that one died in less than 15k, but loved it all along. Got a stage 3 ceramic from them all new for $100 since the kevlar went out so quick, they gave me a new pressure plate and disc. Only got to drive on the ceramic for like 2 weeks before the motor blew, but really liked it, and trust me, you wont slip this clutch.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:28 PM

The clutch wont slip, it does grab very hard. However, the center spring sections on their Stage 3 clutches are VERY cheap and prone to breaking springs, even without a lot of abuse. They are actually the same center sections that they use in their 4-cyl clutches. (dont flame me, this is true, I did some research into this after blowing out the center of 2 of them within a 8 mth period, compare them yourself if you don't believe me). I will not buy another from them, their cust serv is great on replacing the blown clutches, but who wants to keep pulling the tranny to do that?
Old 12-14-2003, 11:43 PM

Mine grabs HARD, does not slip at all... It does have an on/off feeling that gets kindof annoying when just trying to get around town but at the track it is GREAT.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:44 PM

I have one and have went through a couple in the last year or so....I say don't buy one but it's up to you...i have had the whole clutch disk come apart and had the springs break.....but it's your call.....I say get a Mcloud Single disk....about the same money and i haven't heard too many bad experiences with it....just my .02
Old 12-15-2003, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by 96ta(nick)
Mine grabs HARD, does not slip at all... It does have an on/off feeling that gets kindof annoying when just trying to get around town but at the track it is GREAT.
Ditto....

The pressure plate is the same plate that the factory clutch uses, Valeo.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:09 AM

The pressure plate isnt the problem it is the low quality clutch disc springs that they use.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:15 AM

I have a Stage 3 ceramic in my car and its still grabs hard after about 20,000 miles. But you really have to watch the springs in them. I'm on my 2nd disc since 1 spring blew out in April. If you are set on a clutch that would be close but possibly better I suggest looking into a ram HD clutch. The springs look bigger so they can take more abuse. When my spec goes out again thats what I'm looking at buying.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:34 AM
Banned

Re: Spec stage 3 owners inside -->

Originally posted by zx1216
Hey, i'm thinking about going with a spec stage 3 clutch because mine is allmost dead. I have heard mixed reviews about this clutch but i would like to hear what OWNERS only have to say. I don't need to hear about your friends cousins clutch. I know about the center springs and all and don't have the cash for the street twin, so what do i do? BTW: i'm going to run a cc306 and possibly a 150 shot of n2o
It really is a nice clutch man. Im pushing well over 500HP and it holds just fine for the 10 sec times and 1.4 60's Not to mention that SPECS customer service is EXCELLENT.. Even if you did have a problem SPEC will help you at all the way
Old 12-15-2003, 09:40 AM

Is this clutch acceptable for a daily driver? You guys talk about an on/off switch, so i have to drop the clutch basicaly just to take off? i'm thinkin of putin one in over winter break. Am i crazy for tring to run this clutch in the winter?
Old 12-15-2003, 09:42 AM

Yeah I dont know where this cheap spring stuff really places in their line of clutches. Never had a problem and have installed 3 on other cars without a problem yet. Possible these weak springs are on their old clutches or something? Their pressure plates are awesome in my opinion, stock clutch pressure, but its obvously got more pressure than stock. My buddy has a centerforce and the pedal feel is hard as hell.

Edit: no your not crazy for tryin to use this clutch in the winter, your crazy for driving your car in the winter It would be pretty difficult to use in the winter, especially if youve never used it before.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:23 AM
RMC

I ran Spec Stage 3 with a 150 shot on it and it held great. My buddy uses it too and he's got more HP than I was putting on it. We're both still running them now about a year and a half later without problem.

Every now and again reverse will give me some chatter but for the most part the on/off thing isn't too bad once you get used to it. My girlfriend can drive it and hardly stalls and I drive in stop go traffic all the time.

I've since demodded a bit so it might be overkill for me now, but it will hold a lot of HP if you got it.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:26 AM

I have a Spec stage III carbon, and I really like it. However, lately its been slipping while driving on the highway or during hard shifts. Im not sure whats up with it? It only has 10 000km on it maybe? What is a sign that the springs may be bad? Anyway I could check without pulling it all apart?
It's been a good clutch, and usually holds strong. With the cam kit I bought, im looking forward to it holding up for another season of abuse.

-Cam

Quick Reply: Spec stage 3 owners inside -->