Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

spec clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 09:08 PM

spec clutch issues

i do a ton of browsing on these forums and a couple weeks ago i ran across a thread where a bunch of guys were bitching about all the aftermarket clutches available. one that caught my eye was a photo of someone's spec friction disc with a broken damper spring. what are the symptoms of a broken damper spring? my bird's been shuddering hard on normal take off for a couple months now and it started to do it pretty suddenly, not gradually getting worse. it's a spec II. i didn't install it, previous owner did, but i've put 35k miles on since i bought it so it's been in there at least that long and in houston it has endured a very rough last year and a half with the 24hr a day traffic jams. no slipping at all though when driving aggressively.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:31 AM

Re: spec clutch issues

my spec stage 2 was new and doing that. I was told it would go away... from what you're saying that just might be how it is. i'd definitely NOT recommend a spec
Old 09-09-2006, 08:54 AM

My Spec 3 burned after 500 miles. Now I ordered the most expensive Spec 3+ (688$)
Holds up to 800 torque.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Banned

The springs are there to absorb shock. The clutch will chatter unusually when one or more is broken but it may chatter if none is broken. Not usual for one to brake in a short period of time.
It will chatter worse in reverse.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by JustNO
My Spec 3 burned after 500 miles. Now I ordered the most expensive Spec 3+ (688$)
Holds up to 800 torque.
There's a better clutch out there with stock pedal pressure/engagement...I burned up my Spec 5 in 600 miles with proper break in. This is a pic of the Exo-Skel Textralia. They offer a single disc too. You can't go wrong with this clutch set up...best clutch thats EVER been in the SS. I've used, over the years with motor upgrades, stock, ZO6, Centerforce, CarTech, McCleod/McCleod DD and several Specs.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:38 PM

Am I the only person that has ever installed a Spec clutch and had ZERO noises or problems? And I hot lapped it on a regular basis too. Mine was only a Spec 2. I like the Centerforce DF too.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dj's99SS
There's a better clutch out there with stock pedal pressure/engagement...I burned up my Spec 5 in 600 miles with proper break in. This is a pic of the Exo-Skel Textralia. They offer a single disc too. You can't go wrong with this clutch set up...best clutch thats EVER been in the SS. I've used, over the years with motor upgrades, stock, ZO6, Centerforce, CarTech, McCleod/McCleod DD and several Specs.

Any website for this clutch?? I never heard it, but it looks sweet!
Old 09-09-2006, 07:09 PM

www.byunspeed.com
That is an awesome looking piece.
FWIW, I didn't really like my Spec Stage 3 either. My engine shop now uses RPS clutches. They can be found at CarolinaClutch.com.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Am I the only person that has ever installed a Spec clutch and had ZERO noises or problems? And I hot lapped it on a regular basis too. Mine was only a Spec 2. I like the Centerforce DF too.
No I my SPEC 4 has performed pretty well for me over the past 2 years and 50,000 miles. It is slipping now. Im considering converting to an LS1 style setup if it is possable or just getting another SPEC 4. I had the centerforce DF and it was trash. I got it back when my engine was still bone stock and I killed it in 3 months. The car wouldnt go into revurse when I had gotten on it recently and I could NEVER power shift it. I dont know what Im going to do for my next clutch but IF I can convert to the LS1 hydraulic throwout bearing Ill be calling ram for there VDS 910 clutch.

Jeremy
Old 09-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

I highly reccomend and stand by the Ram Power Grip HD series 100000 00000% Having had 3 Specs go down the tube.... back 2 back I'm satisfied with the Powergrip series.Very minnimum chatter if any, firm pedal engagement, good quality, and it still has springs.