Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Slip yoke Woes.... solved....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 08:20 AM

Slip yoke Woes.... solved....

I'm posting this for future referance and for DIAG purposes.

I am having trouble getting my slip yoke to stop leaking. I have gone through two seals. This second one held up longer than the other. I went to the Chevy dealership in town yesterday and spoke w/ the transmission tech. I informed him that the seal is fine untill I get on it in first and second or all the way through second to third. That's when it starts pissing all over my Y-Pipe.

He actually had an Extension housing off a T56. He informed me that the seal is not what keeps the oil back, but it is a bushing a little farther back in the transmission. -But still in the extension housing, it's back about three inches from the slip yoke seal. It's not too hard to replace, remove the transmission, but be sure to stand the trans up on the bell housing. You can tap the bushing loose and then, he told me, grab it w/ a pair of long pliers and twist it loose.

He said that there's a lot of stuff in that extension housing, that's why it is to be stood vertical for removal.

I'll get around to this when I get back from deployment. I'll also do a clutch while I'm in there.....
Old 11-15-2005, 07:25 PM

Re: Slip yoke Woes.... solved....

If you need a new bushing in your t56 and you can see that theres only 1 in the housing. You can put another in front of it. Yes theres enough room to have 2 in there. This way you dont have to open the tranny up right away and you can wait until you do a clutch to do it. Did that guy tell you to try to remove it without taking the extension housing off. As soon as the bushing is deep enough to come loose it will fall in if the tranny is vertical .you wont be able to get at it to twist and pull so I dont know what that guy was talking about!
Old 11-16-2005, 07:56 AM

Re: Slip yoke Woes.... solved....

There is a casting 'wall' between the extension housing and the actuall inside of the MAIN transmission. That's a good Idea. Actually to correct myself, I think the bushing is supposed to be twords the end (seal end) of the housing.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...n_shiftingsix/

Scroll down a little on the link. If I lift the housing off and the bushing IS in fact, loose, It will prolly just fall off onto the output shaft. It sounded about right, tho. If a Chevy dealer highered him as a trans tech, I'd like to think he knows what he's doing.