Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

reverse lockout wiring help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 03:55 PM

reverse lockout wiring help!!!

Hey guys i am doing the a4 to m6 swap and wanted to wire up the reverse lockout. I am using this link http://www.afrashteh.com/tranny_pics/T56.htm as a guide but the person who has written this guide does not have the reverse lockout wired on his car. Basically I was wondering if somebody who has done this wiring could tell me exactly how to do it, and the location of the harnesses or something I need to find, so I could accomplish this. Or maybe somebody has an alternative way to make reverse lockout work. I allready bought the pigtail for reverse lockout from gm, now i just need to know the rest. Any help would be awesome guys, hopefully you can help!!!!
Old 12-03-2003, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Just looking at Shoebox's online wiring drawings for the 95, the reverse lockout solenoid gets a brown wire from underhood box fuse #6, and a light green wire from Pin D6 on the PCM.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:04 PM

Ahah!

We got the big brain Injuneer to speak to this question. Excellent!

I was going to post this question myself, but I was beaten to the punch.

Injuneer, can you explain what activates the reverse lockout? I am going to do the m6 swap myself, and I wondered under what circumstances reverse was locked out. Does a speed parameter have to be met? Are there other conditions that also have to be met?

Your wisdom please.

Old 12-03-2003, 06:14 PM

And, another question, since I know virtually nothing about electrical.

I assume that the the light green wire you spoke about exists within the harness down near the tranny, and that if I find it I can tap into it assured in the knowledge that it is going feed whatever info is needed into the PCM?

Would the brown wire that you spoke of be a ground?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:14 PM

PATRIOT- I'll send you the wiring diagram.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:19 PM

injuneer - I know that I have to tap pin d6, the problem is, i dont even know how to get to the pins you are talking about, and then don't really know how i should go abouting "tapping" the pins. If you could shed some light on how I get to the actual pin, (where do I look, remove pcm?) that would be awesome and also how i tap it.

The other thing is, how do i run the other wire from the #6 fuse. I am not to familiar with the wiring of a camaro, so if you could help me out as much as possible, it would be great!
Old 12-03-2003, 08:30 PM

I am sending you another two diagrams. I think that Injuneer is talking about the connectors at the back of the PCM. Under the hood, passengers side back corner. Takes a 10mm socket, if I remember right. You want the Blue connector. The correct pin is on the diagrams. I am trying to find the connector view for the plug. I have an A4, no idea what the plug looks like. I just know where it is.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:47 PM
96z

Originally posted by SWINGRRR
PATRIOT- I'll send you the wiring diagram.
SWINGRRR could you send me those diagrams too?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2003, 01:09 AM

ok, after looking over the diagrams swingrrrr sent me, I assume that there is a light green wire coming from the d6 pinon the pcm on my automatic. My question now is do i need that anymore? Can I cut one end and attach the pigtail for reverse lockout? Is there a good way to "tap" into that wire/pin? You guys have been awesome so far, and any more help would be great. Thanks guys!
Old 12-04-2003, 10:05 AM

All i need to know now is if i can just cut the existing green wire coming from the pcm since its no longer in use, becuase I no longer have an a4 in the car, and can i just connect the pigtail for reverse locouT? And if anybody could help me with how I tap underhood fuse #6 and get a wire to the revrse lockout (injuneer... shoebox...? anybody?) Thanks
Old 12-04-2003, 10:31 AM
Administrator

I honestly do not know the physical layout of the wiring harness. My T56 is long gone... I run a manual valve body TH400. A also do not know whether there are different wiring harnesses for the M6 and A4 cars, and whether those wires are used on the A4 cars. Can't help you there. But I do know that if you run a (preferably green) wire from the correct pin on the PCM to the reverse lockout solenoid, it will work. To find the actual pin on the PCM connector, look at Shoebox's wiring diagrams. There are pinout diagrams for each connector.

Same with the fuse box. You may have to take it apart to find the physical connection, then run a wire (preferably brown) from the #6 fuse terminal to the solenoid. In fact, you could use any switched +12V circuit that has adequate reserve to power the solenoid. Or, maybe there is an equivalent wire on the A4 harness... I just don't know.

Isn't there an online guide for an A4->M6 swap?

As far as the programming that activates the reverse lockout solenoid, to prevent you from engaging reverse when the car is moving, I would suspect (but again, I do not know with certainty) that there is a line of code that says when the VSS output is not equal to "0", disengage the solenoid. I believe that when the car is at rest (VSS = "0"), the solenoid is powered and engaged. That is just an assumption based on the fact that if you pull the harness connector off the solenoid, it requires a ton of pressure to force the shift lever into the reverse position.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:57 PM

injuneer - thanks for all the help, yes there is a guide for the a4 to m6 swap, this is what they say: "If you want to wire up the reverse lockout, you will need to tap pin D6 on the PCM (Blue cluster. If you look straight at the connector with the clip on the right, it is the 6th pin up from the bottom right). Connect this to the B side of the reverse lockup solenoid. The other side (A) needs ignition switched 12V - you can use the positive side of your reverse light switch"

Since alex (he wrote the guide) didn't ever wire up his reverse lockout, he couldn't explain in detail what I would need to do. So thats where you guys came in! The experts!!

Also, there is a wire coming from pin d6 according to a diagram I have, but its not light green, its brown . It is the "Transmission TCC PWM Solenoid" on the a4's and the reverse lockout on the m6's

So theoretically, since I no longer have an a4, I can run that brown wire to the reverse lockout solenoid and then tap into a +12v source and should be good right? Thanks again guys, this board is such a great help!
Old 12-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Administrator

OK. Looking at Shoebox's wiring diagram, the A4 does use pin D6 for the brown wire to the TCC PWM solenoid. So that wire should work fine. Find the original TCC PWM connector, and it should provide a brown wire (PCM) and a pink wire (+12V) from fuse #11. That should work.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:14 PM

A great big thank you from me too, Injuneer!

Like I said, I had the same questions, I just haven't started the process yet. So glad I've got you and Patriot to blaze the trail and give advice!
Old 12-05-2003, 09:53 AM

will the TCC PWM connector be one that plugged into my old a4? or is that connector somewhere else? Is that the connector with the larger circle plug going into the a4? any help would be nice

Quick Reply: reverse lockout wiring help!!!