Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

To rebuild/replace my 4L60E, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 11:19 PM

To rebuild/replace my 4L60E, that is the question

Ok, to keep it simple for ya, I've got a pretty much bonestock (just exhaust changed to Flowmaster) '97 Z28 Convertible w/an automatic and right at 80k miles. I plan on doing some light modding to her down the road when cash is a little more available (chip it, headers, and basic **** like that) but she's not gonna be a racecar by any means. I mainly just wanna spank the new GT's ridin' around town. I like to race her around some, but its not intended to be a dragcar, pretty much only a road warrior and I have no desire to sacrifice much of that for a quarter mile monster.

Anyways, so here is my dilemma. 2nd gear is gone, has been for a couple months. Not a terrible deal as she's my weekend/fun ride only and she can still just jump from 1st to 3rd and on to 4th no prob. As of right now, the stock tranny should have no problems coping with the current engine setup. But if I start modding her a little, I dunno how well she'd handle. I have had one of the local shops check it out, and he said he'd stock rebuild her + torque convertor for $1200. I had shops asking damn near 2 g's elsewhere. I know some of the guys do performance trannies on here, but I'm a novice or amateur with a wrench (changed waterpump/plugs/wires is my most experience with my LT1 so far) and my dad/grandad have never done any tranny jobs, so we are a little unsure about dropping it and the TC. What would ya'll suggest in this line? Grow some ***** and try and drop it ourselves and ship it off to one of the guys on here that specialize in these trannies? Or just buy a new one? Also where are these guys located, maybe I could just drive her up if ya'll are somewhere nearby or trailer it up there?

Two other things not directly drivetrain related, but I'd hate to start seperate threads for.

1. I have a main seal & rear seal oil leak. Nothing major, but I hate any leaks at all. How hard are the two of them to do? I heard real you gotta yank the tranny off, and front you gotta pull the motor off the mounts?!?

2. She feels like she has a slight stutter at around 1300-1500 rpm. With new plugs and wires already in, is it likely just the OptiSpark?? If so, where could I pick a new one of those up, and what'll it run me??

Thanks a lot for the help!
Old 03-26-2005, 09:05 AM

Re: To rebuild/replace my 4L60E, that is the question

Originally Posted by NighthawkCP
Anyways, so here is my dilemma. 2nd gear is gone, has been for a couple months. Not a terrible deal as she's my weekend/fun ride only and she can still just jump from 1st to 3rd and on to 4th no prob. As of right now, the stock tranny should have no problems coping with the current engine setup. But if I start modding her a little, I dunno how well she'd handle. I have had one of the local shops check it out, and he said he'd stock rebuild her + torque convertor for $1200. I had shops asking damn near 2 g's elsewhere. I know some of the guys do performance trannies on here, but I'm a novice or amateur with a wrench (changed waterpump/plugs/wires is my most experience with my LT1 so far) and my dad/grandad have never done any tranny jobs, so we are a little unsure about dropping it and the TC. What would ya'll suggest in this line? Grow some ***** and try and drop it ourselves and ship it off to one of the guys on here that specialize in these trannies? Or just buy a new one? Also where are these guys located, maybe I could just drive her up if ya'll are somewhere nearby or trailer it up there?
Pulling the tranny is actually very simple. I would say just do it yourself. Once you get under there you'll see what I mean. Save yourself some of the labor charge man.

I have a main seal & rear seal oil leak. Nothing major, but I hate any leaks at all. How hard are the two of them to do? I heard real you gotta yank the tranny off, and front you gotta pull the motor off the mounts?!?
Never done em, couldnt tell ya Even though mine are leaking, so it's planned in the future.

She feels like she has a slight stutter at around 1300-1500 rpm. With new plugs and wires already in, is it likely just the OptiSpark?? If so, where could I pick a new one of those up, and what'll it run me??
1995-1997 optispark (vented) 1104032 $230.97

A great part number lookup site and a regular on this board www.shbox.com

I just ordered a load of stuff from Dal Slabaugh 877-448-5451. He a parts manager for an Ohio dealership. Give him a buzz he'll hook ya up on the optispark.

If that's what it is. Low RPM stumble could be a number of things besides the optispark. Mine was my EGR.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:06 PM

as mentioned above pulling the Trans is not a huge job, it's probably simpler than changing plugs on a 4th gen lol and send it to CPT for a performance rebuild and that will definetly be enough to hold what you are gonna through at it and last a long time,

I have there fully optioned race built trans and have nothing but great things to say about Frank at CPT and his workmanship give him a call and he can guide you in the right direction for the right price too!

302-250-1202 or check out thier webpage for pricing and info:
http://www.geocities.com/cahallperfo...sions/CPT.html
Old 03-26-2005, 05:17 PM

for $1200 you could have a race built 4L60. a base street rebuild shouldnt be anywhere near that much.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:40 PM

Well in fairness to them that was me just dropping it off, and they were gonna drop the tranny, rebuild it, new torque convertor, the whole nine yards.

BTW, what sorta torque convertor should I be looking at if I main aspiration performance wise is 350-400? I had quotes for a stock rebuild for $650 if I pulled the tranny and $950 for him to pull, but that was no new torque vert. either.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:49 PM

i live in NY, i'd sell u my auto tranny if interested its gots 11k on rebuild. 84k total including before rebuild.

for like $600