Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Popping/Clunking when stopped/stopping PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 07:36 PM

Popping/Clunking when stopped/stopping PLEASE HELP!!

Hey everyone i have a 93 formula with the A4,105000 miles.Recently i drove to get my brother's one day and i had to go on the highway for about 25 mile's each way,when i got of the highway and came to a stop my car would pop,and clunk underneath,and it felt like the car was stuck on sumthing or going over a bump,i could hear and feel it.But when i started to give it gas it went away.It only does this after i have driven it on the highway.I thought maybe the tranny mount cause it klunks,when you accelarate part throttle you can feel it klunk,and when you put it in gear it jerks you,and you can hear it klunk a little.But the popping and grinding will only happen after highway driving,i've driven on the highway twice and it does it each time,it happen's when i'm at a full stop,and let go of the brake,with no throttle.But if i drive around the city it won't do it,but when it does do it,it doesn't do it for that long,maybe 4 or five stops,once i shut the car off and it went away.The transmission feels fine other wise,very strong shifts when accelerating hard,i checked the fluid...What could this be???Any help would be greatly appreciated

Oh yeah also if this helps,on certain bumps i can hear the rear suspension make a very loud squeaking noise..also this is only sumtimes