Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Poly Trans Mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 03:17 PM

Poly Trans Mount

Ok, so I broke the the stock tranny mount a few years back and replaced it with a poly one. I dealt with the vibration thing, no biggie. I really liked the stiffness it made in the suspension. Well it seems that the poly one has broke because I am getting some banging underneath during hard acceleration at the first to second shift. Has anyone had a poly tranny mount fail ? I was under the impression that they were pretty much bullet proof. My car is not heavily modded by any means but the trans has been rebuilt and shifts pretty hard. Also I run drags radials on the back. Feedback welcome
Old 06-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Administrator

The ES poly mounts actually have an overlapping set of metal plates inside so that if the mount breaks, the distance the trans can lift is serisouly limited. Is it an ES mount? Stock torque arm? If so, check the TA mount bushing to make sure that's not what is broken.

I've had the same ES poly under three different trannies, over a 12 year period. T56 with a Street Twin, slicks and 5K clutch dumps, TH400 with a 5,000rpm flash stall, and the TH400/Gear Vendor setup. All behind an 800HP/800ft-lb nitrous setup. But that's with a body mounted TA, which eliminates a lot of the issues with the TA lifting the tranny tailshaft on a hard launch.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:02 PM

Dude it's been so long I don't remember what type of poly mount it was. The car still has the factory TA though. Now that you mention the the TA, it does seem to be a different sounding bang. When the stock mount went bad the bang was more right under the shifter. This feels different. I will give it a look. Thanks for the insight