Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

P0740 (no symptoms help)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:43 PM

P0740 (no symptoms help)

This is an odd one- I've been reading up on it and I can't seem to get any solid definitive answers on it if you don't have symptoms. It seems that everyone who throws this code has noticiable transmission symptoms

I'm throwing P0740 in my 2002 ls1 camaro (stock 4L60e / stock stall) and I have no sympoms- my car shifts fine, 1, 2, 3, 4 and I am pretty sure it locks up as the rpms stay low enough? Although I am not 100% sure unless I scan it

Shifts aren't harsh, I do have a bit of a misfire, but Ive had that since last year and I am pretty sure it is from the back most spark plug that was the only one I couldnt get to to change (but will be sometime this summer)

Does anyone have any ideas of where I should start looking if I am not showing any symptoms other than the code (everytime I clear it and go for a short drive it comes back)

I just got back from a 6 hour road trip (each way) and she was beautiful- I reinstalled my wideband O2 sensor today and found out the sensor is fried, then right after I got this TCC code, I pulled the fuse out for the gauge just incase it is an electrical issue, but that doesnt seem to fix the problem.

I took a scan of a ride around the block- I scanned some status bits as well as some transmission parameters- the TCC solenoid seems to turn on and off?

I can email anyone interested in looking at it because I don't know how to attach a file in this forum

Car still drives great, but as soon as I delete that code it comes right back- Im stumped??

Help!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:44 AM

Re: P0740 (no symptoms help)

Making progress- When I command the Torque converter clutch on with hp tuners when in gear and idling, the engine doesnt bog or stall out like it should. So I am guessing that the clutch is not actually being applied

I'm terrible at electrical diagnosis

Is it still possible this is an electrical problem within the transmission? Can I use Hp tuners to begin ruling out possible causes for the clutch not being applied?

I also found this article which is basically a diagnosis tree- unfortunately I don't have any of the tools it asks for (all electrical) but can hp tuners substitute a lot of the diagnostic devices being used becasue it can trigger solenoids etc?

Here is the article: http://www.hotrodlane.cc/New%20LS%20...%205.7%20L.htm

Last edited by LETZRIDE; 05-21-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Link comes up "not found", and it defaults to a generic page for hotrodlane.cc

I have a downloaded copy of the 2000 factory manual. There is a P0740 code description, with a 3 page diagnostic chart. Unfortunately, it requires numerous specialty tools/devices.

Would that be helpful? I can e-mail you a .pdf, or I can provide a link where you can download various year manuals. 2000 is the latest download available.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Link comes up "not found", and it defaults to a generic page for hotrodlane.cc

I have a downloaded copy of the 2000 factory manual. There is a P0740 code description, with a 3 page diagnostic chart. Unfortunately, it requires numerous specialty tools/devices.

Would that be helpful? I can e-mail you a .pdf, or I can provide a link where you can download various year manuals. 2000 is the latest download available.
Weird, looks like a few things got cut off.

I'll send you a PM with my email, but try that link again and tell me if it may be the same thing?

Can any of the specialty tools be substituted by hp tuners?

I know I did the test where you put the car in gear and sit at idle and put the TCC to commanded on, and if the car bogs or stalls than the clutch is engaging...my car didn't do anything, so I know the clutch isn't coming on even when it is commanded...

Last edited by LETZRIDE; 05-21-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Administrator

The document you linked is basically the same as the one in the 2000 factory manual. One difference I noticed was in the "conditions for running the DTC, the factory manual shows "The system voltage is 8-18 volts", while that procedure indicates "10-18 volts." Seems like an insignificant difference. But I didn't go word-for-word through all three steps.

I am not familiar with HPTuners capabilities.