Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Is my converter junk now??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 02:07 PM

Is my converter junk now??

Alright guys I bought a new torque converter when i put my engine and tranny back in the car last summer. Ive put about 3k miles on it and my tranny has been slipping for about 500 miles. Is the converter still ok to use?? There wasnt hardly any metal in the tranny fluid I think it was just burnt. Thanks, Dustin.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:50 PM

Re: Is my converter junk now??

Originally Posted by ChevyTuffD.A.
Alright guys I bought a new torque converter when i put my engine and tranny back in the car last summer. Ive put about 3k miles on it and my tranny has been slipping for about 500 miles. Is the converter still ok to use?? There wasnt hardly any metal in the tranny fluid I think it was just burnt. Thanks, Dustin.

the converter is more than likely still perfectly good. i have a friend that burned up a number of trannies with the same converter and when he finally built a good tranny, the converter worked perfectly.

if the converter isn't the source of the slipping (which it probably isn't) just have a tranny shop flush it out real well to get rid of any old fluid (and possibly metal) and put it right back in.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:53 PM

I agree! As long as the slipping isn't the converter then it should be good.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:11 PM

Ok good bc i dont really have the money for a new converter. About how much do u think a shop would charge to just flush the converter?? Thanks for the info guys.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:08 PM

i have to disagree on this one, even if you have just a little bit of metal in your pan some still could have gotten in the convertor. maybe your freind just got lucky but all of my instructors suggest we replace it on any rebuild so we don't have a $1500 rebuild comeback. also aftermarket convertors can be had for alot cheaper than OEM so this could be a plus. but the last thing you want is your convertor locking up the stator both ways and your stuck in vortex flow cruising, this will overheat your tranny fluid and burn up an otherwise good tranny and your back where you started. you can use the old one but i'm warning you do to otherwise and i won't i told ya so but thats my input. good luck with it if you decide to rebuild it yourself.