Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Hurst shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 11:59 PM

Hurst shifter

Hey guys I just installed Hurst shifter,I haven't drove it yet,kinda nervous/scared that I might messed it up lol, I followed every step slowly n took my time.

Anybody out there have Hurst shifters? And what's your guys thoughts on them? Thank you guys
Old 07-12-2016, 11:29 AM

Re: Hurst shifter

Since nobody chimed in I can tell you what I've read.
Many F-body owners with a standard trans complained about miss shifts from 2nd to third and going into 5th gear instead with or without the Hurst shifter and that the cure all was to replace the linkage with the Hurst linkage to solve this problem.Well,that's all I know.I could be wrong.I've wrong at least two times this year so far.My92.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Which Hurst shifter - there are at least three different versions going back to the mid-1990's: Comp Plus, Billet, and the version SLP installed on the SS option cars? I had the Comp Plus. The install is so simple I can't think of any way someone could screw it up. Make sure the shift rail still has the nylon cup in the hole that the ball on the bottom of the shifter fits into.

I found the Comp Plus to be decent, and a significant improvement over the stock shifter. The shorter throw was great, and even better with something like Lou's Short Stick. Eliminating the big rubber bushing on the stock stick took away all the spongy feeling. Shifts were more positive, but I still managed to screw up the 2->3 shift. The problem is not putting it into 5th. The problem was having it go into 1st instead of 3rd. Can you say "over rev"!

The Billet had a more substantial base, and added adjustable stop bolts to prevent "over shifting". Never owned that one. The SLP Hurst was a cheapened version of the Comp Plus, and used the stock stick, keeping the loose, rubbery feel. I drove a friend's 30th SS and was not impressed.

To me the Pro 5.0 was a major step up from the Hurst. But now I hear there's something even better from MGW.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Which Hurst shifter - there are at least three different versions going back to the mid-1990's: Comp Plus, Billet, and the version SLP installed on the SS option cars? I had the Comp Plus. The install is so simple I can't think of any way someone could screw it up. Make sure the shift rail still has the nylon cup in the hole that the ball on the bottom of the shifter fits into.

I found the Comp Plus to be decent, and a significant improvement over the stock shifter. The shorter throw was great, and even better with something like Lou's Short Stick. Eliminating the big rubber bushing on the stock stick took away all the spongy feeling. Shifts were more positive, but I still managed to screw up the 2->3 shift. The problem is not putting it into 5th. The problem was having it go into 1st instead of 3rd. Can you say "over rev"!

The Billet had a more substantial base, and added adjustable stop bolts to prevent "over shifting". Never owned that one. The SLP Hurst was a cheapened version of the Comp Plus, and used the stock stick, keeping the loose, rubbery feel. I drove a friend's 30th SS and was not impressed.

To me the Pro 5.0 was a major step up from the Hurst. But now I hear there's something even better from MGW.
Hey Fred thank you for that information,it's a black one the billet you mentioned. I'll run it today n get the feel of it
Old 07-13-2016, 07:23 PM

The Hurst shifter I have is the "Pro Billet" which does have provisions for stop bolt set you do on initial install. I pulled the then new never used stock Tremac shifter when I bought my T56. After 10 years and a few hundred passes down the track + DD I find it to be a very positive shifter...YMMV
Old 07-16-2016, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chimera96
The Hurst shifter I have is the "Pro Billet" which does have provisions for stop bolt set you do on initial install. I pulled the then new never used stock Tremac shifter when I bought my T56. After 10 years and a few hundred passes down the track + DD I find it to be a very positive shifter...YMMV
Thank you guys I just ran the camaro n the shifting is beautiful
Old 08-11-2016, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

There's also the factory upgrade Hurst shifter option, which my '02 Z28 came with. I'm not sure what other years or models it was available on, but it's easily recognized by the big H embossed in the top of the leather shift ****.

I upgraded to the Pro 5.0 and haven't looked back, although I'm curious about MGW's offering.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:54 PM
Administrator

I had an SLP Hurst that came with a spare T56 I bought, that came out of a 1997 30th SS convertible. It seemed "scaled down" somehow from the Comp Plus. And unlike the other Hurst shifters, it used the factory stick, with the big rubber bushing. Never installed the SLP Hurst, since I already had the 5.0. Eventually sold it.