Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:37 PM

help!

i have a 1996 camaro lt1, my tranny mount is broke in the middle where it bolts to the tranny and the bolt broke off into the tranny how do i get it out?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:41 PM

well I just can't see it in my mind how it fell into the tranny, first I wouldn't drive it and I'd find a magnet n try and fish it out,
Old 08-30-2010, 06:43 PM

okay, doesnt the middle bolt that holds the tranny to the crossmember, bolt to into the tranny? not literally inside the tranny but just like a bolt whole? and if not how does it work?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:57 PM

Here is what a transmission mount looks like. There are two bolts on the outer portion that bolt to the transmission and the center stud bolts to the crossmember.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:59 PM

if there is some sticking out of the trans you can try to get it out with a pair of vise grips

if not you can try to work it out with a punch

if not then it needs to be drilled out and use an easy out

you might want to seriously consider taking this to a shop and letting them take care of this for you, it may cost you a few bucks but you will be saving yourself a considerable amount of headache, and possible damage if you screw up drilling it out
Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 PM

I had this happen to me on a different car (and it wasnt a tranny mount bolt, it was a manifold header bolt, what i did was take a drill bit that is lttle less than half the diameter of the bolt, i drilled into it slowly and was able to get the bit to grab and start turning the bolt after that i took the drill of the bit and then got some pliers and started turning till i was able to completely walk the bolt out. you may not have my lock, but it could work, just take you time and think of all possible options before you attempt to remove it. GOOD LUCK