Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Fixed Pinion/Yoke seal, now my gears whine like crazy... WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 09:14 PM

Unhappy Fixed Pinion/Yoke seal, now my gears whine like crazy... WTF?

I just finished the front pinion seal, and topped off the fluid in the rear end. I made sure there was plenty in there, until it was leaking out of the hole. I took it for a drive, and it was fine on accelleration, but when I let off the throttle, the rear was whinning like crazy. Its really loud, especially from about 3k RPM to 1500 RPM. I thought maybe it needed more fluid, so I went back, pulled the plug on the rear, and it was still fine, there was fluid coming out. So what happened? Did I not tighten the yoke up enough? It was still pretty loose, but I marked where the nut was on the pinion before I unbolted it, so I know it was back in the same relative position. Maybe I knocked something out of wack when I was installing the new seal? I used a small rubber mallet to put in the new seal, and I accidently hit the pinion itself a few times, but I wasn't swinging hard... Also, maybe I lined up the yoke postion wrong? the driveshaft slid right in, and I know it was in just about the same position as when I took it off. I don't kow any ideas? TIA
Old 07-08-2005, 09:25 PM

Re: Fixed Pinion/Yoke seal, now my gears whine like crazy... WTF?

Your gear set-up has been altered, either from over tightening the nut and crushing the crush collar too much or the nut is not tight enough. Not tight enough can be fixed, too tight needs to be taken apart and re-setup with a new crush collar. Try to tighten the nut a little bit more and go for a SHORT drive. If the rear starts to get quieter, you're going in the right direction. If it gets worse, then it's time to visit a drivetrain shop.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:29 PM

The pinion nut is torqued to a specific torque setting when first installed. Theres a crush sleeve in there thats pretty much a one time use. If you didn't put that nut back to the same torque setting then your pinion set up has probably changed. What i've done in the past when I used to have a crush sleeve is remove the nut with a torque wrench and keep upping the torque on the wrench until I find what it was torqued down to. Then replace the seal and put the nut back on and tighten it up slightly past that torque number. It's worked for me in the past. About the only thing I think you can try now is find out what the factory torque spec is for the pinion nut and try torquing it down to that number and maybe slightly past. Don't want to over tighten it though cause you can burn up your pinion bearing. If that don't help, then you may have to have a setup done on your ring and pinion, cause at this point, its probably whining cause your set up changed when you broke the pinion nut loose and its not back to where you started. Hope that info helps you out.

Ken R.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:36 PM

I think it may not be on there enough, It feels pretty loose but like I said in another post, I tightened it back to where I marked it before I unbolted it. I'll try tightening it a little more, then going to a little trip.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:04 PM

ok, I tightened it a little more. There was a ton of play in the pinion, so I tightened the yoke bolt down to where there was just a very very small amount of play, and the whine is pretty much totally gone. Theres still a very small whine at around 2k RPM to about 1500 RPM, so I'll keep listeneing, but it seems fine. I guess this is the best way to adjust that pinion nut, it to just tighten it down until there is a little bit, or no play at all in the pinion, because anything past that is asking for trouble. BTW, my service manual says that the torque is suppose to be 10-15 lb. in. for used bearings and 20 for new. Thanks for the help guys!