Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Street Clutch for 380RWHP ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 08:51 PM

Street Clutch for 380RWHP ??? (dyno results/sheet inside)

I just got back from the dyno tuning and my tuner (Bryan from PCM for Less) let me know that I need new clutch. Car was running great, not a single problem except it made 340RWHP and 320RWTQ (224/230 with GTP Stage II, full exhaust, 6 speed) instead of 370RWHP as it should. It’s because the clutch wasn’t holding at all...Dyno sheet
On the street it seemed that everything was okay, maybe sometimes it slipped when I shifter hard into 4th. But overall it was fine.
Anyway I need good street clutch (no track what so ever) that will hold 380-400RWHP. I heard that Spec 3 is the way to go, but since I won’t go to the track I was thinking about getting SLP Pressure Plate/Throwout Bearing and spec stage 2 disk or just go with SLP Package…
Sebastian
Ps. I am using 315 Nitto DR

Last edited by scyzoryk; 06-28-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:00 PM

Re: Street Clutch for 380RWHP ???

I like my spec stage 4 ceramic.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:05 PM

How is it in the traffic??? I did some reading and it seems that Stage 4 is too hard in Stop/Go driving...
Sebastian
Originally Posted by Valkyn71
I like my spec stage 4 ceramic.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:08 PM

I dont understand what leads you to believe the clutch was slipping on the run. It makes sense to me if it started to slip no power would be transfered to the rollers and the graph would fall off to zero.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:11 PM

What changes did you make from the first to the third run? I see your car put down more power each run.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:12 PM

If I were you I would look elsewhere for your missing HP. Im not saying your clutch wasnt slipping, but looking at the dyno graph I dont see any signs of a slipping clutch.

Your TQ curve looks pretty flat, if your clutch was slipping or your tires were spinning on the dyno it would look like the HP curve.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:33 PM

First run was with old tunning, second was already tuned by Bryan, and third one was with open cutout (I have Flowmaster exhaust)...
Sebastian
Originally Posted by turbo_Z
What changes did you make from the first to the third run? I see your car put down more power each run.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:37 PM

How do I know that the clutch was bad??? Here is what the Bryan said (he did the dyno pulls), I was just watching it from 10 feet away
"The air/fuel and spark that we ran in 3rd gear and dialled in is the same as what 4th would have. Just the way it was smoking from the clutch area and how it would spin freely for a few seconds and then try to catch it again with the clutch slipping"
I will upload some videos of the dyno runs...
Sebastian
ps. Bryan is a great guy to deal with. I highly recommend him!! Thanks Bryan!!

Originally Posted by jchevy
If I were you I would look elsewhere for your missing HP. Im not saying your clutch wasnt slipping, but looking at the dyno graph I dont see any signs of a slipping clutch.

Your TQ curve looks pretty flat, if your clutch was slipping or your tires were spinning on the dyno it would look like the HP curve.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:43 PM

so witch clutch is the most streetable for my application Spec Stage 2 maybe 3 or SLP??
Thanks
Sebastian
Old 06-29-2005, 01:59 PM

I have a Spec Stage 3. Very streetable once you get used to it. I'll go with a Stage 4 next time because it doesn't have the springs and those tend to fall off on 2s and 3s. An SLP will probably have the best driveability but most likely won't last as long before it starts slipping.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by madwolf
I have a Spec Stage 3. Very streetable once you get used to it. I'll go with a Stage 4 next time because it doesn't have the springs and those tend to fall off on 2s and 3s. An SLP will probably have the best driveability but most likely won't last as long before it starts slipping.

Old 06-29-2005, 03:17 PM

I've been running the Spec II for over a year now with no problems. That's with two trips to the track, drag radials and spraying. I am sold on Spec!!! It is very drivable....I didn't notice any dif in feel over the stocker. The Spec II and III use the same p.plate....disc is only difference. If my disc goes I'm planning on just buying the stage III disc and putting it in.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by scyzoryk
How do I know that the clutch was bad??? Here is what the Bryan said (he did the dyno pulls), I was just watching it from 10 feet away
"The air/fuel and spark that we ran in 3rd gear and dialled in is the same as what 4th would have. Just the way it was smoking from the clutch area and how it would spin freely for a few seconds and then try to catch it again with the clutch slipping"
I will upload some videos of the dyno runs...
Sebastian
ps. Bryan is a great guy to deal with. I highly recommend him!! Thanks Bryan!!

I will be interested to see what your re-dyno with a new clutch. Please post a link in this thread when you do.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:38 PM

Did you get that really nasty burning clutch smell? I had that a couple times in my 94 when it spun really bad and didn't grab.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:47 PM

will a new stock clutch hold on a le2 setup with emmissions cam .. suppose to be making 375 to the wheels, or should i get a new clutch?

Quick Reply: Street Clutch for 380RWHP ???