Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Filling a t-56

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 03:53 PM

Filling a t-56

Hey guys I recently had my t-56 rebuilt by tick performance.
Stupid me I had motor a Trans with k member out and totally forgot to fill Trans.
Is there a way to fill Trans while it is still in car.

Can I fill it through shifter?
Any help will be grateful
Thank you
Old 03-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Re: Filling a t-56

Yes, you can fill it through the shifter opening. Or get a small hand pump, or a squeeze bottle to use the fill hole on the side.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:58 PM

You can fill it through the shifter hole or the fill hole on the side of the transmission. If you fill it through the shifter hole you will still need to remove the fill plug. With the car level fill it till fluid trickles out the fill hole. The fill hole is on the left side and it says FILL beside it.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 PM

Thanks guys for the help.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by rngilliland
You can fill it through the shifter hole or the fill hole on the side of the transmission. If you fill it through the shifter hole you will still need to remove the fill plug. With the car level fill it till fluid trickles out the fill hole. The fill hole is on the left side and it says FILL beside it.
You don't need to remove the fill plug under any circumstances. If the trans is dry, just pour 4 qts of dex3 in there. Many things can attribute to whether or not trans fluid will pour out of that hole and if that's even accurate, including uneven jackstand or uneven floor. If you had a lift, it might be a different story, as then I'm sure it would be easier to fill from under the car with a hand pump instead of ripping apart the interior.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:59 PM

I bought a pump from AutoZone that screws onto a 1 gallon bottle. It comes with a clear hose that goes into your transmission. Then you can just pump the fluid in. As mentioned above the filler hole works best for checking level with the car being level.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:07 AM
Administrator

I'd check the level via the fill hole. Both GM and Tremec instructions recommend that you verify level after filling. Tremec manual says to fill until it drips out. They apparently feel the hole is accurately placed. While the trans not being level will affect the reading slightly - the fill hole is toward the center of the case - I'd rather be sure I got it close to the correct level, than just hope that I'm not too far off.

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo...n/T56Conns.jpg
Old 04-02-2012, 03:57 PM

While the manufacturer provided a "fill plug", due note that filling through the shifter is perfectly acceptable. If anything, the "proper" way is the only way outlined for liability issues, or if you need to check the level, not necessary an empty fill up. Just be sure the trans is empty, and just pour 4 qts in there.

Alldata spec says 8pt capacity which is 4 qts.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Administrator

No one said there was anything wrong with filling it through the shifter opening. In fact I told him it would work.

Not sure I follow your position on the legal issues regarding liability. I doubt that the only reason they provided a fill hole was because some lawyers suggested it. But who knows. I'll check mine... you ignore yours
Old 04-03-2012, 05:38 AM

Never said their lawyers suggested it....
Meant it is more so the "proper" way just so you cancheck the level and not take responsibility for broken trans because mr joe was told to fill with 4 qts yet he never checked to make sure the trans was empty thus overfilling.

:rollseyes: it is almost comparable to the "proper" way of changing your fuel pump. You can spend an entire day dropping the entire rear end or just cut a nice access hole geanted you seal everything back up properly. It is an alternative way to alot of time and prevent a big mess.