Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Driveshaft carrier bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 05:03 PM

Driveshaft carrier bearing

Hi, I'm new here and could use some advice. My 94 V-6 camaro started making a squealing sound coming from the back end. I've had my camaro for 7 years now and love driving it, and this is the first really big problem I have had. I reallly do not know anything about mechanics though. A friend of mine jacked it up and looked at it and said he thought it was the driveshaft carrier bearing. I then called my dad who lives many states away, but he said that he didn't think it would cost that much to get a new one, and labor shouldn't take too long. So.... I take it to the local garage, and they told me you cannot just buy a new bearing, that I would have to order a whole new driveshaft for around $800, and there is no rebuilt or after market ones made as of yet. They said it would take about half an hour to put a new one in. I was a little shocked because I was expecting to just buy a new carrier bearing, not whole driveshaft! Is this true? Is this my only option? The mechanic then said I could try wrecking yards to get one, if any were in good shape. How much would I expect to pay there? What should I do? HELP! Thank you so much for any advice you can give me.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:43 PM

Re: Driveshaft carrier bearing

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ght=driveshaft

That should help you out... much cheaper going with a cheap used 1 piece shaft. You'll probably see a steel stock LT1 shaft in the for sale section going for dirt cheap. Probably easier to search some local junk yards and pick one up though.

HTHs
Old 12-21-2004, 12:01 PM

Re: Driveshaft carrier bearing

Thanks so much for the info the the thread link. I am happy to hear this!