Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Did i get the one bad street twin?? or what??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 11:06 PM

Unhappy Did i get the one bad street twin?? or what??

Ive had my street twin in the car now for over 300 mile and this thing is really starting to agravate me I talked to mcloed and they said to give it some more time and see what happens. they said it should take 300-500 miles to work perfect. How long before yours felt buttery smooth because thats what Jean, Red and George @ mcloed said "it will feel like just like a stock clutch" They also said that if it doesnt improve i will have to send it back to them and they will take care of it but that means to me have fun taking it back out and laying on your back in your garage sorry about the clutch not working this thing was a pain to put in. i dont want to have to do it all over again

just wanting to vent My wife is also very pissed about this clutch because she was helping me put it in and knows all the bs that goes with it atleast i wont have to pull the slave cylinder out again that really sucked

to those who own the clutch how long till this thing worked correctly??

I also have a pulsing in the clutch pedal when you first push on the pedal did your do that when it was new?

This thing is still very chattery i mean you have to get a running start to get up my driveway because if you slip it to get in the garage it feels like its goin to break something the car shakes so hard. It also chatters shifting into everygear going down the road

Thanks
Steve
Old 05-02-2003, 11:47 AM

umm??
Old 05-02-2003, 12:05 PM

Mine has felt fine since I put it in, it only has about 700 miles on it now. Did you have the flywheel balanced to your old flywheel, and the pressure plate neutrally balanced? Also, did you make sure that the slave cylinder was installed correctly? The tech who helped me install mine said it is easy to not put the slave in right, people often don't get the *** on the end back in the groove inside the tranny.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:25 PM

Did you have the flywheel balanced to your old flywheel? Yep the mcloed was only off 2 grams. and the pressure plate neutrally balanced? yep the valeo was off 14 grams did you make sure that the slave cylinder was installed correctly? yep checked twice and it was in the correct place. when you said yours felt fine since new do you mean no chatter and it feels like stock or a little chatter and it not enough to worry about?? and where does your clutch release bye the way?? My clutch release just like it did when it was stock but... I have a pulsing in the pedal right when you start to push it down

Steve
Old 05-02-2003, 12:50 PM
West South Central Moderator / Special Guest

it has no springs,and tons of clamping power.. so its gonna chatter a little. maybe have somebody tha tknows how they feel to drive it, so you know if its the clutch or just you.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:45 PM

thats just it no one in the car club has this clutch they all bought star clutches. im the only one in the club to fess up the dough to buy the street twin and they are all saying told you so should of bought the star I know this is a good clutch but man im not very happy att with it. how does your street twin feel JordonMusser?? i bet you have some chatter with the alumminum flywheel. When i say this thing chatters i mean the whole car is shaking and ive tried to let out the clutch at all types of rpm and no change. this thing is almost an on/off clutch and nothing like what my search results told me or what you guys on this board said it would be like. maybe im being critical but i spent $1000!!! so i would like the clutch to be right my ol POS center force was atleast driveable and it lasted 20000 miles but... I blew it up at the track the first night with the 12 bolt in and the et streets on so go figure

Steve
Old 05-02-2003, 02:11 PM

My clutch drove like stock for about 7k miles. Recently it has started to chatter, a BUNCH. I can really rev it up and slowly release the clutch (engage), which helps, but I'm not sure what is going on. I will probably be pulling the trans to see what is going on in there sometime in the next year.

Good luck. Mine didn't seem to be much different when I installed it (went from stock to ST).

Ryan
Old 05-02-2003, 02:48 PM

When I first installed it, it engaged right at the floor, and would chatter a little. Now it engages about how it did before and after I put on the 500 break in miles I took it out and dumped it, and the chatter went away. Now it only jerks when I let it out to much at low rpm, like taking off from a light.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:01 PM

Thumbs up

I've had mine in the 396 for almost 2 yrs now. Initially it didn't like going in reverse at all unless the car was turned off then it would engage. The pulse? Yeah I have that too I just attribute that to having a real clutch. I had no chatter w/ the alum flywheel until I made the mistake of letting a German claims person drive the car. They smoked it bad. Before I could let it out @ idle just straight dump it and it would grab and not bog @ 5mph. Since then it chatters slightly if I don't take off right. It's butter smoothe yes indeed and I can slip it w/ no problem. Makes me wonder if it's going south on me because it's so easy to slip. Every now and then though I dump it just to make sure she's grabbin and down shift it as well and she chirps the tires so I know there is still plenty of grip left.

Some get lucky w/ little to no chatter like me and then others get the other end of the stick. Can't say about the pulse though but honestly it doesn't bother me I don't keep my foot on the clutch long enough anyways. 500 miles and then go hog wild on it you'll be satisfied for sure afterwards. Best clutch ever.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:31 PM

Mine chattered at first. After about 1000 miles it smoothed out a lot and now it is as smooth as stock (steel flywheel). We just put a new one (aluminum) in my friend's Z28 and it chatters after about 500 miles or so, but he's done mostly freeway driving. I wouldn't give up yet.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:03 PM

Hey.. Sorry to hear your having trouble.. i too have a pulse at the pedal.. but that was on my old twin also.. Like everyone said don't shoot it just yet.. the first time you goto the track and have a sticky tire.. Dump it and you won't regret it at all.. Let me get you some pictures' of a star.. They don't like that too well.. you made the right choice and somtimes to get the best you might have to sacrifice a little bit.. It'll get better.. Good LUck.. email me on the boat if you have any more issues and/or question's plattners@enterprise.navy.mil
Old 03-02-2007, 07:36 AM

haha I accidently resurrected an old thread... I'm an idiot..

Did you gap the clutch right? I remember having to check the spacing on mine, as the 3 spacers that came with it were waaayyy tooo much. I ended up only using one.

How did you bleed the clutch? I checked the manual (I forget which one) and it said to bleed the clutch in some akward way.. Before I bleed it the "right way" I had no pressure behind the clutch pedal. Then I bleed it and it was fine..

just throwing ideas out...

Last edited by danhr; 03-02-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by danhr
haha I accidently resurrected an old thread... I'm an idiot..

You said it. Not much point in offering advice on a 3 year old thread.