Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Clutch Pedal Stays on Floor... BUT

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 12:08 PM

Clutch Pedal Stays on Floor... BUT

... it was only happening after making a run on the track? Last night I was able to go to the semi-local 1/8th mile track for the first time ever. I was able to get 8 runs in over a 4 hour period and the problem happened 6 out of the 8 runs.

What happened is by the time I got to the top of 2nd and as I was shifting in to 3rd as I was crossing the line, it'd be sort of hard to get in to 3rd and it'd grind slightly... the first couple of times I thought it was an error on my part. By the time I got to the end of the track and turning off of it to get my time slip, the pedal would stay basically on the floor and it was pretty hard to get it to go in/out of gears. However, after 3 or 4 minutes or by the time I got back to the Staging Lane area everything would be back to normal??

I put approx. 150miles on the car since then and everything seems to be fine again. It isn't difficult/grinding going in to gears or anything and the pedal seems to feel normal... it may be SLIGHTLY softer but it could just be my mind. I also haven't seen or smelled and signs of a bad clutch yet?

If it helps any... I was only launching at around 1600RPMs on virtually bald street radials. There wasn't very much slip but I still only pulled 2.2 60's with it bogging down a bit... best time is in my sig I was getting a fair amount of spin going in to 2nd so I wouldn't think the traction advantage of strip v/s regular streets would be a factor in the problem? Then again... I'm pretty baffled here

It surprised me since I'd never had a problem out of the clutch since I've owned the car and I've played around in the car on several occasion's before the track. Hopefully someone can give me some idea's on what to check, I'm going to take a look at the fluid here in a few to see if it's something that obvious.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:21 PM

Re: Clutch Pedal Stays on Floor... BUT

I checked the fluid and it isn't low... it does appear to be sort of dirty as if it's breaking down or something. I plan on flushing it soon but wondering if anyone else may have some idea's for me to check out?

I've read about how the '01+ Slave Cylinder is a better design, maybe I should go ahead and swap them out while I'm at it?
Old 08-09-2004, 12:34 AM

Re: Clutch Pedal Stays on Floor... BUT

Sounds like the normal restrictor prob. The f-body clutch line has a restrictor and it sometimes holds presser a bit before clutch fully releases. Most people upgrade to the ZO6 style hydros.