Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Big 4L60E Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 07:57 PM

Big 4L60E Problems!!!

I have a 94 Formula A4 and Monday I was driving to work and I noticed a strange grinding sound when it would shift into second. After a couple stops and starts it kept getting worse and if I tried to give any gas it would slip really bad. I though maybe it was a fluke but when I got in it to go home it was doing the same thing. By the time I got home, first gear was doing it to. Third and fourth seem to be just fine. Can anyone help me figue out what is going on?
Old 04-13-2005, 08:37 AM

Re: Big 4L60E Problems!!!

Not sure what is going on specifically but I will help bring this to the top for the tranny experts. I know Frank from CPT only comes on here in the evenings and Dana from probuilt (well I haven't figured his pattern out yet) and there is another tranny builder that has started to post here as well.

I will tell you that your in for a rebuild, and one thing you should do it check your fluid.

1) You can pull the dipstick, look at and smell the fluid and double check the level.

2) drop the pan and look at the fluid and the magnet on the bottom of the pan for metal particles.

But either way if it has gotten as bad as what you have explained, then it won't last more then a week or 2, unlees you stop driving it!

Then again, a good thing is it isn't that much to get it rebuilt and rebuilt right!
Old 04-13-2005, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am really hoping that something simple could have broken or worked its way loose that I can fix myself. I was hoping to do some other mods before rebuilding the transmission.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:54 PM

Sorry to be the "bearer of bad news", but it sounds like a planetary has grenaded...Or atleast it's going to soon.

Frank
Old 04-13-2005, 08:10 PM

Yeah it sounds to me like you have had your first experience with a transmission failure. I just had mine built by Frank and its just amazing. I had him build it with a full time race car in mind. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend Frank, a rebuild by someone who knows what they are doing.

There are a few others that post here that can build one for you buy I have no personal experience with them.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:21 PM

Just some more backround:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...&highlight=CPT

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...&highlight=CPT
Old 04-14-2005, 12:47 PM

Somehow that doesn't sound like a simple "bolt-on" type repair? Thanks.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by formulator
Somehow that doesn't sound like a simple "bolt-on" type repair? Thanks.

unfortunately its not... unless you think of it as unbolting the trans and then bolting it back up
Old 04-14-2005, 02:32 PM

That's what I did,
I unbolted the trans put it in the trunk of my wifes car and drove it to Franks shop, At the end of the day I was bringing it home to start Bolting it back in
Old 04-14-2005, 08:47 PM

that fast 0_0 now i definately know where my trans is going when i get my money back from the turd whos had it since february trying to fix the soft/unshifting of 1-2 and 2-3... ahvent checked wot o/d but im sure it does the same! lol found out recently he did a stock rebuild with the shift kit i had in it before and was telling my dad about the high performance stuff he was going to put in it, also a nice hefty price tag of 1200, granted i ddint have to take the trans out or anything but none the less it sucks. ive got him talking of stronger clutches and steels now though so hes improving... cant wait on the computer to get back from madZ28 to se if that fixed the over-revving on shift problem. my mechanic was deadset that it was the comp not telling ti to shift, though no parameters to the computer had been changed (everything the same on teh car as when it shifted correctly when i bought it) then i put 3.73 gear in it and all kindsa chaos broke loose because the car got from 1st to 2nd quicker it started hitting the limiter because the slipping very very subtle but still slipping i could tell (slow shift not all the time). anyway sorry i hijacked but everytime i thi9nk about it i get madder, just save yourself the trouble and have it sent off to someone you KNOW will do you right!
Old 04-15-2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by RacingTiger04
that fast 0_0 now i definately know where my trans is going when i get my money back from the turd whos had it since february trying to fix the soft/unshifting of 1-2 and 2-3...
Yeah Frank can do it in a day if he doesn't have a few others sitting there that need to be done first, my case was a little different because he had everything sitting there waiting for me, and he knew I was coming to watch how things are done. Mine was done on a Saturday and took most of the day, but that was probably because he was explaining everything to me as he went. He is a good guy and he doesn't mind taking time out to show people what he is doing, I like that, I like knowingexactly what is going on in my car and it associated parts.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:31 PM

i'm the same way about my car, the mechanic whos had my car for the past few months has seen me everyday hes had it, i think its starting to get to him :-p. i honestly dont know how he put up with me for so long because ive been trying to show him everything that he shouldve done the entire time and hes finally starting to agree with me on MOST things he just doesnt believe me about the pressure spring or boost valve. =/ frank you can expect a trans from me soon if he doesnt anty up within the next week. ill pm you when i get it all figured out, and ill have a few other questions about options since it does have all new "stock" parts in it... anyway sorry for the thread hijack. i would just hate to see anyone else go through all the bs ive been through with my 4l60e.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:42 PM

If you are near the charlotte NC area I have a 4l60e tranny with only 55k miles on it and I am trying to sell it so if your close and want to work something out email me

onedaybadass@hotmail.com