Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Back again with clutch chatter

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:01 PM

Back again with clutch chatter

I just installed my 2nd clutch on this car and I still have chatter. Its not as bad as before but its still there. I can sometimes hear rattleing from the trans also in 1st and reverse. I have all new motor mounts and a trans and t/a bushing. I replaced the flywheel and put in a new pilot bearing even though the one I took out was still good. The chattering started gradually with the first clutch that was in it when I got the car. then I blew the clutch about a year later and I replaced it. at that time it had chatter also before and after I replaced the clutch. I decided to pull the trans because of the chatter now and check the pilot bearing the other day and realized that the flywheel and pressure plate was gone. the mechanic said that it may have been from bad machining on the flywheel or a bad clutch disk. What does anyone think could be causing the chatter to still be there after all the clutch changing and mounts n bushings changes?
Old 10-07-2012, 03:13 PM

Re: Back again with clutch chatter

Grease, lube, or other contamination of the clutch or flywheel, maybe from leaky main seal; raised, burned spots on the flywheel from too much slip; springs on the racing clutch hub; flywheel (or pp) machined badly; or wear problems with the rear yoke, u-joints, or front yoke
Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 PM

I would think if after putting in a new clutch (assuming is is not a full-race unit) that any chattering would be something else. I've never had a new clutch chatter before, unless the flywheel was warped. Also, you will have better luck when you replace a clutch if you resurface the flywheel or replace it.does it chatter when you are idling in 1st gear with the clutch out, ie you are moving at slow speeds. Does it quit or lessen when you accelerate? With the transmission in neutral and the clutch engaged, vary the speed of the engine. Still chattering?

I'm assuming it does NOT chatter when disingaged in or out of gear?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
Grease, lube, or other contamination of the clutch or flywheel, maybe from leaky main seal; raised, burned spots on the flywheel from too much slip; springs on the racing clutch hub; flywheel (or pp) machined badly; or wear problems with the rear yoke, u-joints, or front yoke
The previous pressure plate and flywheel had burnt and raised spots all over it as well as a crack. There isnt any oil or anything leaking from anywhere.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:59 PM

The last time I changed the clutch I resurfaced the flywheel and it still had chatter and vibration through out all rpm ranges in gear and out. this time I replaced the flywheel with a new one with the clutch and it still chatters but not as hard, the engine does vibrate allot harded though. I'm wondering if the previous flywheel was slightly unbalanced and since it vubrates allot harder now im thinking the new flywheel is really off balanced. It doesnt chatter while shifted into any gears just when letting off the clutch while starting to move in 1st and reverse(lower gears)at lower rpms. Thats the only times it chatters
Old 10-08-2012, 02:22 PM

Vibration is different than chatter. Is it possible that the engine is balanced differently than the flywheel? By that I mean a stock LT1 is externally balanced with the flywheel. Sometimes when the engine is rebuilt they do a 'neutral balance' where the flywheel is NOT a part of the engine balance. The two flywheels are different and will cause vibration issues.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:53 PM

Right,it was before and is chattering and now with the new flywheel and clutch its vibrating more.
If the vibrating isn't causing the chatter then its something else causing it.