Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

anyone ever open up a T56

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 11:46 AM

anyone ever open up a T56

Hey guys,

I am about to start rebuilding my T56. Just got a box today from D&D with all the wearable parts and 3-4 fork. I just want to do more homework before I actually begin doing this thing.

Right now the only reference I have is the official tranny rebuild guide from Tremec, but as always that's a manual clearly written by engineers. So I just want to ask around and see if people can give any hints, pointers, things to do and not do, that sort of thing.

Any special tools required for the job? I have gear pullers, bearing splitters and a shop press, but I don't know if my gear pullers are going to work. They are the standard type 2- and 3-jaw, plus I have heavy duty 5-ton 3-jaw one. Or do I need special pullers for this?

Anything else I should get before I even unbolt this thing?
Old 02-18-2005, 09:15 PM

Re: anyone ever open up a T56

I rebuild one at least once a month if not more. You'll need a good set of snap ring pliers, craftsman won't work, the tips will snap off on the big rings, you'll also need two sizes of pin type snapring pliers, the kind that fit into the little holes on two snaprings.
Step one: TAKE YOUR TIME, it'll be worth it when you put the thing back together.
follow the manual to the t, even though its written by engineers, they provide everything you need. Not sure what your 5 ton 3 finger puller looks like, but right off the bat you'll need a puller that will at least reach about a foot to get the reluctor ring off, 5-6 gear cluster off the main shaft. everything else comes apart really easy, just keep all the parts organized in the order they came off so it'll be easier to put back together.

when you go to put it back together, make sure all the snap rings are put on right side up, if you put them on backwards, they'll be a bear when you go to take it apart again. if you hold one at eyelevel, horizontally, you'll see that the gap ends are beveled, they should make look like this / \ so your snap ring pliers will hold onto them. Make sure you line the shifter assembly up as the manual says, you'll have to pull up on the shift shaft that controls 5-6 and rev. to get the alignment pins in correctly, use a flashlight if you need to see inside the case. when you go to put the tailshaft on, DO NOT FORCE IT, that 5-6/R shaft has a hole it has to go in in the tailshaft, use a small screwdriver or thelike to move it around until it lines up, then the tailshaft should just fall in place. If you force it, you will either break an alignment pin or bend the 5/6/R shift shaft.

Good Luck. If there are any parts left over, take it back apart and put the part in its place, or you'll ruin your new parts.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:34 PM

Here is a link to the t56 service manual on Shoebox's website:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#t56
Old 02-19-2005, 01:21 PM

yep, that was the manual I already have.

blue, when you say, "good set of snap ring pliers", would there be something you recommend or know where to get them. So far for specialty tools I've been going to www.handsontools.com and they have 3 pages of snap ring pliers, but I really wasn't sure which ones I should be looking for.

The other thing I saw in the manual is that there are roll pins in there. I had an encounter with one of those before and the pin won (it wasn't that important anyway), but this time I will have to remove/install them. What's the best thing for those? There are roll pin punch sets, should I buy one of those?

And looks like I am going to have to do something about those pullers. Biggest ones I have are about 9-10 inches (and that's not the craftsman one).

The good thing is that I have absolutely no timeframe, so I can ask you guys and do little at a time to make sure I buy the right tools and get this thing right.

thanks a lot guys, I hope you'll stick on this thread.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:44 PM

the snap ring pliers i prefer are called "duckbill" they're flat tipped and have cross hatching for traction, they'll either come flat on both sides, or one side will have a notch in it. I'd send you a picture of mine, but the computer at work doesn't like to send pictures, and the computer at home doesn't work.