Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Amazing Find Behind Clutch Slave Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 06:27 AM

Question Amazing Find Behind Clutch Slave Cylinder?

As I was changing the tranny fluid on my M6 the other day, I deceided to pull the clutch slave cylinder from the bellhousing and bleed it. As soon as I removed the slave cylinder I could see two(2) small bolts lying in the bottom of the bellhousing right next to where the slave cylinder bolts in. Both of these bolts have a 3/8" hex head to them and one is about 3/4" long while the other one is about 1" long. Both these bolts are, of course, are too small to be either pressure plate or flywheel bolts, soooo..... I began to wonder where they might be from? Have any of you found similar type bolts floating around in your bellhousing and know where they came from??? Car seems to run fine right now, and the tranny shows NO leaks. Is it time to panic yet?

TIA for all replys!
Old 05-14-2005, 09:49 AM

Re: Amazing Find Behind Clutch Slave Cylinder?

you sure they are 3/8ths?

all the bolts on the clutch and slave should be metric...10, 13 or 15mm i think.

sorry i'm not more help
Old 05-15-2005, 01:47 AM

I found my rear main bolts sandwiched inbetween my clutch and flywheel, lets just say it was not pretty.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ravenkel
they should be to bleed the slave
97 6SPEED Z has an LT1. The slave cylinder is completely different than your LS1, and there are no "bleeders" on it.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:26 PM

Unhappy Re: Amazing Find Behind Clutch Slave Cylinder?

Okay, let me try to clarify a few things. teke184 yes, these could indeed be metric bolts. I was just saying that the head (i.e. wrench and/or socket) size of these bolts is around 3/8". I'm pretty sure a 10mm socket might fit them pretty well too, so they could be metric bolts. The actual thread size of these "mystery" bolts, might be the Metric equivalent of say, 1/4"-28 English???

Ravenkel, Fred (Injuneer) is right here. On LT1 equipped F-cars the T56 slave cylinder has no "bleeder" screw. The bleeding procedure I was using is to simply remove the slave cylinder from the bellhousing, and while holding the whole slave cylinder verticle, (i.e. with the plunger pointing straight down), completely depress the plunger with your hand/fingers into the unit as far as it will go, to force as much fluid back up into the clutch master cylinder resovoir as is possible. Repeating this procedure about 8 to 10 times with the clutch fluid resovoir cap loose, is supposed to rid, (i.e. "bleed"), that stainless braided line between the master and slave of air.

And finally, 96ta(nick), while I'm sorry to learn of your misfortune with your "rear main" bolts ending up between your clutch and flywheel do you remember if those bolts were about the size of the ones I'm talking about here??? (I assume you're talking about the bolts that hold the rear main seal "housing" to the back of the engine block???)

Again, TIA for any and all replies!