Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Aluminum or steel with ls7 clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 08:16 PM

Aluminum or steel with ls7 clutch?

My tranny is almost done being re-built so I need to pick up a clutch too. I'm pretty much set on the LS7 clutch package. Of course the Ls2 flywheel is also needed for the set up to work. The thing is Fidanza makes a oem steel verions and an aluminum as well.

I know the whole "steel equals more inertia" and all that, I've done my research with that. I want it to rev easier but don't want a touchy car either. I'm making pretty much stock number now but am planning on having around 420-440 hp NA when Im done, which probaly wont be for awhile.

What I was wondering was whether the added weight of the ls7 clutch (everyone says it's much heavier, but they may just be talking about the pressure plate, not the clutch, not sure) would make the aluminum flywheel the perfect combo, since the loss of weight with the flywheel would balance off the gain.

And also, does using an aluminum flywheel really cut your ets that much? The people that are rebuilding my tranny say they lost a half second when they went aluminum. Im not a big drag racer and will be setting it up to road race but dont want to lose my effectiveness on the street.

Is it something that you lose power with from the stop, but gain once you start going, ginving you the "from a roll" syndrome?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:21 PM

Re: Aluminum or steel with ls7 clutch?

i used an aluminum fidanza flywheel with spec clutch. it is night and day difference IMO how much faster the rpms climb. compared to a stock steel flywheel, the aluminum fidanza is almost 18 pounds lighter. thats a lot of weight off the back of the crank. it does grab alittle harder. plus the fidanza has a replaceable friction face so there is no need to have the flywheel resurfaced or replaced. just order a new face for $79 and its done.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:06 PM

The heavier flywheel "stores" energy which makes it easier to launch, but with a little practice you will easily overcome that then pull away from the heavier flywheels. =)
Old 04-13-2006, 09:43 AM

If you're going to road race the car I'd say go with the alumnium flywheel. Less rotating mass for that application. And it won't affect the street manners that much.

The reason drag racers go with a steel flywheel is like wdtiger said. It "stores" energy that is used when you launch the car in drag racing..

Tails