Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

12-bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 08:27 PM

I don't need a 9" a 12 bolt can be plenty strong. Plus I have a Ford friend that would love it way tooo much if I put a FORD rearend in my car.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:57 PM

a 9" isnt all the much stronger than a 12. its not like most people would even tax a 12 bolt to half of what it is capable of. the PHB will help in launches. for suspension though, i noticed the largest benefit from the sub frames. the LCAs and the strut tower brace helped a lot too. the strut tower brace really helped on turns.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:45 PM

If your gona street it, do a 12 bolt with 33 spline axles and a HD eaton posi. It doesnt get any tougher on the street. (there is no one that makes a 33 spline posi for a ford) If you need it it be stronger go with a 9" 35 or 40 spline axles and a spool.
The rears are comparable with 30(12 bolt) or 31 spline(9") axle splines but the fords down fall is the lack of a 33 spline posi.
The 12 bolts down fall is the lack of really heavy duty stuff for the all out racer, at the top end of the spectrum the 9" and its aftermarket support, shine when you really have a lot of torque on tap. Neither is cheap, but for a 10.0 street driven car I would still go 12 bolt. any faster and your not going to be driving it on the street (in most cases) and then the 9" with big axles would be the Appropriate choice.

Just my .02 worth
Old 01-05-2004, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by carnutz
If your gona street it, do a 12 bolt with 33 spline axles and a HD eaton posi. It doesnt get any tougher on the street. (there is no one that makes a 33 spline posi for a ford) If you need it it be stronger go with a 9" 35 or 40 spline axles and a spool.
The rears are comparable with 30(12 bolt) or 31 spline(9") axle splines but the fords down fall is the lack of a 33 spline posi.
The 12 bolts down fall is the lack of really heavy duty stuff for the all out racer, at the top end of the spectrum the 9" and its aftermarket support, shine when you really have a lot of torque on tap. Neither is cheap, but for a 10.0 street driven car I would still go 12 bolt. any faster and your not going to be driving it on the street (in most cases) and then the 9" with big axles would be the Appropriate choice.

Just my .02 worth
Lets say I would drive it about 3K miles a year on the street. Get the 9inch?
Old 01-05-2004, 12:10 PM

What kind of power are you makin? et's???
Old 01-06-2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by carnutz
What kind of power are you makin? et's???
Its almost stock right now

Just dooing my homework. Its gonna be a Twin Turbo setup aimed for high 9's. (dont want to put in the full cage)

The car has only 14k miles on it and its a show/show off car only.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:06 PM

I did the same search as you regarding the 12-bolt. I went with Moser because it uses the Eaton posi unit with 33 spline axles. This is hard to beat. For all out drag racing, a spool would probably be necessary.
I ended up getting another driveshaft (3" steel) approximately 3/4" shorter than stock, and it is equipped with 1350 series u-joints, which are very heavy duty compared to the stock 1310's.
If your looking for something really easy to bolt in, the Strange is the one to get. The Moser you have to reuse your stock brake backing plates and have the bearings pressed onto the axles.
Oh, I love the 3.73 ratio
Old 01-10-2004, 05:59 AM

I have the Moser rear end and it is very noisy. Especially between the speeds of 50 and 65 mph at a steady cruise. I’ve talked to two other people that have Moser Rear-ends and there’s do the same thing. Even on Moser’s web sight the are making excuses for how loud there rear-end's are. They claim it is because they use pro-street gears.

If I had it to do over I would pay the extra $300 for the strange Rear-end. If you are paying $2200 plus install, you shouldn't have to put up with that obnoxious noise that make you car seem unrefined. That’s just my opinion.

Good Luck,

Al
Old 01-10-2004, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by 95TealLT1
I have the Moser rear end and it is very noisy. Especially between the speeds of 50 and 65 mph at a steady cruise. I’ve talked to two other people that have Moser Rear-ends and there’s do the same thing. Even on Moser’s web sight the are making excuses for how loud there rear-end's are. They claim it is because they use pro-street gears.

If I had it to do over I would pay the extra $300 for the strange Rear-end. If you are paying $2200 plus install, you shouldn't have to put up with that obnoxious noise that make you car seem unrefined. That’s just my opinion.

Good Luck,

Al
There is nothing inherently quieter (or noisier) about a Moser v. a Strange 12-bolt. It depends how the gears are set up. My Moser as recieved was quiet. After a gear swap, it was pretty noisy until we went back in and set it up again.

Rich Krause
Old 01-10-2004, 09:35 AM

The gears used in the Moser and Strange are street type gears, not "prostreet" gears as used in drag racing only. The racing only gears are made of a softer material to take the impact of the hard launches. Apparently, if you use these race gears on the street, they wear out prematurely.

As far as the noise with my Moser rearend, it is there but it doesn't bother me. Actually the stock 3.42's rear made a near similar noise, so I got used to it. The word is the 4.11's are significantly louder than other lower numerical ratios. Whether it has to do with how the gears are setup, ie backlash, or the actual cut or manufacture of the gears I don't know.

One other part I would recommend you get with the Moser is the rear sway bar kit from Spohn. It comes with 2 special clamps, polyurethane bushings, and hardware to mount the sway bar onto the larger OD axle tubes. It gives the Moser a really nice final- touch look. You won't need this with the Strange, since it uses stock size axle tubes.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:57 PM

If you say that Moser doesn't use pro-street gears you are saying that Moser's web sight is a lie.

Read all about it:
http://www.moserengineering.com/mose...s.asp?CatID=28

You also mentioned that the only difference is the way they set up their gears. My point exactly, Moser needs to improve their process control when setting up their rear ends.

I believe my "rear-end" will hold up, but I don't believe that you should have to get used to the noise when you are paying that much money.

The reason I wish I had gone with Strange is because they have a reputation for producing a quality product. Moser doesn't.

Do what you want, but I was just giving you a fore warning, Moser rear-ends make a lot of noise.

Last edited by 95TealLT1; 01-11-2004 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:11 PM

Yes um Teal 95,
I have read all that, thanks.
When I said prostreet, I meant race gear only, not a street gear. There is a difference if you didn't know. If you run a race gear set on the street, it won't last long because they are so soft. Moser's gears as supplied in the 12-bolt are street type gears, not race only gears. Race gears have to be made softer to take severe impact at the launch.
Moser's website gives you an explanation why the gears are louder than stock. It has to do with the amount of nickel in them. Moser's gears have more nickel than stock gm gears, making them stronger. The tradeoff is they make a little more noise.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:52 PM

Noise doesn't matter to me I am sure the solid cam and loud exhasut will drown out a little gear whine.