Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Trailer question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 11:55 AM

Trailer question

I tried this in the Lounge, but didn't get a response. So, I'll try here since there's people that trailer there car here.

I just bought a open car trailer from a guy here in Calif. He bought the car and trailer from Florida and went to pick it up and drove back. He didn't need the trailer anymore and put it up for sale, so I bought it.

Only problem is he does not have the title, but he did write me a bill of sale and also gave me a Manufactures Statement of Origin, which has the VIN #, year, make, etc.

So, my question is will I be able to register the trailer in Calif? If not, how do people register trailers without having the title?

Thanks,

Jody J.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Administrator

I know in NJ there is no "title" for a trailer. They issue you a registration based on the "certifcate of origin", and then give you the certificate back.

Not sure how CA compares, but if you bought my trailer, you would be faced with the same problem if you needed a title.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the info Fred. I've got the "certificate of origin" with me, so I guess I'll take that and the trailer to the local DMV and see what happens.

Thanks again,

Jody J.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:13 PM

All I did is went to the sec. of state and told them the trailer was home built, all I needed was the weight so they could charge me for the correct plate fee.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:09 PM

Most states dont require a "title". My trailer was home made, and in PA it did have a title where I bought it from. I just took the title up to the DVM here in NJ and they told me I didnt need it. I gave them a weight and the handed me tags, registration and a certificate of origin.

If you state does require a title, then you will need to get it touch with the original owner for his old registration card, you can get a title with that. Chances are you just need to take your certificate of origin up to the DMV and they will take care of the rest.

Oh, you will have to show proof of insurance for the vehicle you intend to tow it with. No ins on the trailer itself is required.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:43 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. I was able to register the trailer at my local AAA. All I needed was the original "Cert. of Origin", Bill of Sale and brought the trailer for a VIN verification.

Thanks again,

Jody J.