Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Tire Question Nittos, ET Streets or...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 12:51 AM

Tire Question Nittos, ET Streets or...

Jus wondering what would be the best tire choice Nittos ET streets or BFg Drag radials. IN a 6 speed with 410s the tires would also be 315s. I want the best traction and what i can get for tread wear. Im leaning toward the NIttos. Also does anybody know what these tires retail for.

Thanks,
-John
Old 06-08-2003, 12:56 AM

If you are driving them around town definetly the Nittos because out of the 3 they are the best in case of rain. If you are just using them at the track I would get the BFGs. If you have a stock 10 bolt and your wanting to buy a new rearend put the ET streets on The Nitto in a 315 is somewhere inthe neighborhood of 170-190 I think. Dont know about the BFGs and the ETs are around 150.00 a piece I think.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:18 AM

There's no question the ET Street will provide more traction. But they are not street tires, so it depends what you have in mind. Between the DR's. The BFG is supposed to have more grip but wear quicker. Nitto's are also supposed to be "better" on wet roads. But either would be deadly in any standing water or heavy rain.

A DR should be restricted to driving back and forth to the track, occasional nice weather cruising, or street racing, if that's your thing. The ET Streets should not be used on the street, generally speaking. If you lived a couple of miles from the track I suppose you could drive them to and from, that's about all anyone one sensible sould do with them. Yes, I know there are people who use them differently. I have one moronic friend who leaves them on all the time. To each his own, I guess.

Rich Krause
Old 06-08-2003, 12:11 PM
GP Moderator

Originally posted by rskrause
But either would be deadly in any standing water or heavy rain.
Not true. When my car was a daily driver, I ran Nitto DR's (275/40/17's) out back. Of course, not in the winter, but any time no snow/ice was on the ground. As long as they had tread on them, they were great in the rain. Never had a problem w/ hydroplaning, spinning too much, etc. And trust me, it rains in Ohio! Only when they started getting bald (they were sticky all the way until I started to see belt, which is when I stopped driving on them) did wet weather traction start to suffer. But that's pretty much the same with any street tire.

IMO, Nitto DR's make a pretty good street tire. Compared to the cheapy Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's I have on my car, my Nittos lasted just as long. I'm down to the wear bars on my Kumho's after about 10-11k on them (rear tires). I'm not one to do burnouts or anything either, and these have never seen track duty. My Nittos lasted that long, seeing probably 30-40 burnouts at the strip. When I replace these tires, I'm going back to Nittos, but going w/ the 555R-II Road Race tires this time around, since they won't see drag strip duty.

I also have ET Streets, and they are NOT street tires. I drive them to/from the track, but that's not too far away either. Those would be suicide in the rain. Also, if you are running 4.10's in a stock rear w/ a 6-speed, you are skating a thin line w/ breaking it as is; ET Streets would guarantee a broken rear.

BFG's don't have enough tread life to be a good street tire.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:06 PM

Thanks guys I figure on going with the Nittos 555R when i my Torque Thrust 2s.

Also since the price of the nittos would be worth getting them in the front too jus for a matching set or not. Other wise ill get the BFg KDW.

Thanks guys
-JOhn
Old 06-09-2003, 12:18 AM
GP Moderator

The 555 R-II's look identical to the DR's, so you could have a matching set.