Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Thunder racing shootout for those that don't agree with the ls1tech rules.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 04:31 PM

I figure I'm setting right there with you Tim. I'm pretty sure I'm just below the 3500 mark, the car weight last year at the shoot out was 3535.

I know I can knock the air-bags off, loose the console, wiper motor, wipers, visor, lighten the carpet up, new driver seat, remove the rear bumper support, move the battery to the back (good for weight distribution). Not to sure If I want to go without the alternator although might have to so I can be a little more competitive. Charging between rounds should be no biggie worst comes to worst we will have an extra battery there for just in case.

Do we need a head liner? I wonder how much that weighs?
I wonder if I can get rid of the plastic under the front wheel wells.

I might even put a radically different cam in just for this event. Just have to wait and find out.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:39 PM

Ken...the rules state full interior..I guess that includes headliner and center console. I guessing they wont notice the rear hatch cover and rear speaker Moldings(spare tire cover)

(3) Full interior is required, including two front seats and carpet. (Back seats not required.)

Ken..also on the dyno we droped the alternator(removed belt)..I picked up 14 rwhp...just a heads up.

Last edited by 95Bird; 06-19-2003 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:45 PM

Lightbulb

Originally posted by CamaroCain02
70lbs huh. There are lots of heavy LS1 cars out there too actually. Take off the front sway bar, get some drag wheels all around, take out the back seats, spare tire/jack, and what does that equal to?...
Very true there are MANY heavy LS1 cars as well... they too have been forgoten about. Hell I've been told RECENTLY that it's all about spending $$$ on your car to go fast... bottom line. And if you can't afford to invest the $$$ & time then tough $hit. Nice attitude huh.
Lynda as for you suggested mods... good advice and I appreciate it.
Here is what I already have removed: Bumper supports, front sway & hardware, fog lights, rear seat, spare & jack, sub woofer, front air baffles, all unused brackets and harware. In addition I have: tubular K-member, carbon fiber DS, tubular A-arms, 15x4 drag lites up front, 15x10 Draglites with MT ET Drags in the rear. All that and I'm still at 3470, plus I have to add a roll cage... tack on an easy 65 lbs.
I'd say that represents a damn good chunk of $$$$. Not to mention what I've spent on the rest of the car.
So when I'm told about spending MORE $$$$ and time on my car to be competative, please excuse me when I get fairly PO'd. Hell I swapped my K-member out in my driveway for God's sake.
Ok nuf of that I'm done ranting.
Lynda you have an excellent suggestion about me just going to the race and hanging out, I'll might show and help 95 Bird out with his car. It just really sucks that a few losers whined about 3300 being the way and getting their way when 3400 whould be an EXCELLENT middle ground for all the cars in QS. The reality is that MOST cars will have to dump lots of weight to hit 3300 where as VERY few will have to add weight.
Steve...
Old 06-19-2003, 09:25 PM

3300 is LIGHT,if Etown's scales were correct on the day of the GMHTP LT1 bolton deal,my car without me is 3350. That is WITH a 9"/8 pt rollbar (CM),Summit race buckets,Lightweight carpet,bumpers are still in it,and stock k member with power steering rack (no power assist),welds all 4 corners,no ac.

Now,my race weight is 3590,i like food,im a good 245-250. I can get some more weight out by yanking the bumpers and getting the manual rack K member i have in there. But with my intake im going too,i have to cut the cowl,and that moves up in class.

Now even if i starved myself down to 200 lbs (hah that might happen ), i can see me getting to maybe 3400lb race weight,no way will i start gutting the car extensively to get down to 3300,sorry,it's a STREET car,im keeping the radio and heat .
Old 06-19-2003, 11:18 PM

sorry guys I am just so use to my light weight stripper car, but i knew when i bought this car what it was going to be used for. power options are pointless to me because they usually go out right after your warranty is up. the more power options you have the more stuff to go wrong and I prefer a hard top, and it is also MUCH cheaper. I haven't touched the bumper supports or anything like that. I have removed:
front sway bar
windshield washer fluid/bottle
seats (at one time had racing seats)
spare tire/jack
run drag wheels all around
sawed off my stock catback
tq converter weighed less than stock
Those are pretty much the main ones I can think of off the top of my head. Still have air bags, bumpers, AIR, A/C and all that good stuff and have had my raceweight down to 3250 before.
SAR2K: since you are so close, no reason why you shouldn't show up and BS with all of us. It will be fun.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:55 AM

I am wondering if the scales were off when i ran my 12.3s, i weighed the car with me in it (200#s) and the scale read 3395 at that time. I had pulled alot of stuff out of the car but the carpet was still there and the stock Kmember and Aarms, I did have skinnies/fats on but I know most of you have more done for weight reduction that I was able to do and with all this talk, i need to re-weigh the car and get an idea of where I am...I was hoping to be in the 3350 range with the TH350 and other stuff that was done recenlty...oh well.
3300 Race weight would be nice but you have to get rid of alot of stuff for sure...
I actually have no comments on the rules b/c I will not be able to make the trips...
Old 06-20-2003, 07:59 AM

I forgot I need to loose a good 20-30lbs myself. Tipping the scales at 225 is not a good thing.

I wonder if I can get a light weight driver mod umm not!

Anyway I still think they need to make it a 3400 lbs for the Quick Stock class and keep it at the weight breaks for the Modified Stock.

I will still be coming even if I'm not down to that weight, I'm planning also to do some bracket racing Saturday and Sunday plus the QS class. Looking forward to a good time.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:35 PM

SAR2K,

You know what? I damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. I thought we were friends...if you had a problem with the rules why didn't you say something privately rather than airing out dirty laundry on the Internet for the world to see?

There were several people in on the initial rules discussions including you and Tim H. No one objected to the weights being set where they were. If there was such a big problem why didn't anyone speak up during the meetings we were having. If Angie's car can weigh 3050 with her in it and a 1/4 tank of gas with a 12-Bolt and a roll cage I still find it hard to believe that you can't get your car to 3300 race weight. And no I'm not talking about spending cubic dollars either. This has nothing to do with dollars...I'd love to know where you got that.

At this point I'm totally burned out. I know that no matter what we say or do we are going to catch hell from somebody . I just thought it wouldn't be from you. I honestly thought we were better friends than that.

Last edited by geoff @thunder; 06-22-2003 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:45 PM

Geoff,in order for the LT1 cars to get down to 3300,it will take money,or MAJOR sacrifices.not everyone bought a stripper car from the get go. There will always be disagreement's,and people will express views in different ways. I dont think Sar2k was out to **** off anyone,he was just stating that LT1 cars would need to be Gutted and then some to get to a 3300lb race weight,especially those of us who didnt buy a car new and got a Trans Am that usualy has every option under the sun.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:28 PM

Arrow

Ok time to clear the air.
First off, Geoff I'll stop by the shop tomorrow after work and see you. Sorry I haven't been by in over a week, but I had to put in extra hours at the plant since last Monday. I'm not PO'd at you in any way at all... you know I would never pull a Mouth you guys.
For everyone else please don't take my comments as bashing this race or Thunder. I sure as hell will not loose friends over a race or the internet.
Just for the record when I was told it's all about spending $$$ to win it did NOT come from Thunder or anyone there. Trust me that's not their attitude.
As for me posting my opinion here... this is about the only drag race forum that isn't slanted to the LT's or LS's. So many people just don't realize the actual weight differences in these between the two cars. Car owners can post in this forum and actually get some damn good feed back and not have to deal with attitudes. This is about the only place you'll get any amount of LT1 feed back. That's why I posted in here.

Steve... <----- sending Blair to TR with 40's!!!
Old 06-23-2003, 08:50 PM

Steve,

No problem dude. It's all good. Maybe I'm being too touchy. It's just that lately it seems that no matter what I say or do somebody is going to bitch or whine about it and some of it is much closer to home than you would ever think. Oh well that's life in the fast lane I guess. No hard feelings here and sorry if I came across as bitchy.

BTW- Blair and a couple of 40's would probably do wonders for my attitude right about now!! Ha! Ha!
Old 06-23-2003, 11:48 PM

hey geoff...glad to see you hangin out with the slow cars..heheheh I'm with steve..no bitching..just talking. I never take it too serious..I just stating a point on the lt1 weights. We had that long talk last weekend so no need to get into it again. Call me when the stripper with the 40s is gonna show up and I'm there.

And yes..we have to post here to get a non skewed view. Some of those other boards have blinders on when it comes to the older models. At least most people here have dealt with both and have a respect for both so its not so one sided.

Last edited by 95Bird; 06-23-2003 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:37 PM

Whaaaat this stripper that you are talking about?

Geoff - Just roll with the punches, you guys are doing a bang up job. I'm for one looking forward to coming down, I'm for one will not back out of the race at race day. I still think you need to make this mandatory on the day of the race no switching classes unless your car does not meet the class requirements. IMO