Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

spool on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 06:15 PM

Question spool on the street?

simple can it be done with out breaking something on a 10 bolt.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:58 PM

Re: spool on the street?

I don't think it can. A kid I know put a spool in his 77 Camaro and the first day he got it back from the shop he was going around a slight curve on the highway and blew it up.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:06 AM

You lose traction going around corners. Since there's no differential action, the tires will go the same speed all the time with a spool. When going around a corner, even a curve on the highway, the outside tire will go faster than the inside one. Since both axles are locked together something has to give. Most of the time it's a tire. One will slide across the ground trying to keep up with the other. Not exactly a safe thing to do on the street. There's always a possibility of breaking an axle but I can't see it happening unless the axle was weak to start with.

The closest thing to a spool that would be considered safe on the street would be something like a Detroit Locker. While going straight, the diff is locked like a spool. When going around corvers, the locker will unlock and provide differential action.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:15 AM

If you try to accelerate while cornering with a spool you can get some interesting results! Applying relatively small amounts of power makes the car "push" (understeer) while really getting on it causes it to get loose (oversteer). This can be useful for a skilled driver in certain kinds of racing, but it a major PITA on the street. In addition, on slippery surfaces, a tremendous amount of skill and vigilance is required to keep the car pointed where you want it. Not to mention tire wear, etc.

If you have a race car and want to occasionally drive it for a couple of miles on the street, a spool is ok. Otherwise, forget it. Do a search, this has been discussed numerous times.

Rich
Old 01-23-2005, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen 87 IROC
The closest thing to a spool that would be considered safe on the street would be something like a Detroit Locker. While going straight, the diff is locked like a spool. When going around corvers, the locker will unlock and provide differential action.
Can you *briefly* explain HOW a locker works?? I've never understood them (although, I've never really "researched" them either )...

...I know how a posi (with clutches) works, or the auburn type, and even (sort of) how a torsen works, but what's the deal on a Detroit locker? Even if you could direct me to a website that explains them.....thx.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:40 AM

http://www.ringpinion.com/content/te...ult.asp?pid=44

Rich
Old 01-24-2005, 12:49 PM

If you do a ton of street driving you might want to find out if spool'd peepz have had twisted axles from running their spool on the street.

I have a 31 spline soft locker, may upgrade to 35 spline setup over the summer if my car leaves real hard.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:18 PM

They have a spool for 10-bolts (custom welding jobs not included )? Wow, that's like putting a badass clutch on a stock T5.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:16 PM

I had a Lincoln Locker (welded spiders) in my 7.5" 10 bolt for 2 years with no problems. Car was dipping into the low 11's at the time. I finally installed a 9" with a spool when I installed a transbrake.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:45 PM

It's not worth it unless your trying to exploit every possible weak link in your 10 bolt. I have lots of street miles on my richmond spool but its also in a truck 12bolt with moser axles and c clip eliminaters. Drivability has not been that bad. The long wheelbase seems to smooth out the shock going in to curves. Only problems I've had have been trying to back out of parking spaces and slinging dirt and grit on other cars in parking lots. Can't drive in the rain anyway thanks to the ET streets. If you have a good rear end and don't drive it everyday I don't see a problem.