Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Shock Adjustment??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 10:49 PM

Question Shock Adjustment??

Okay i have Qa1s all around with bmr springs and wanted to know what everyone adjusts them too for the strip. I pretty much have a stock Lt1 engine wise.
Also being that i have qa1's would I still need an airbag for the left rear or can I just adjust that shock stiffer then the right one? Wouldnt that be the same as an airbag preloading it? I see you can get two airbags or one. I dont understand why you would need one for the right since preloading the left will even it out.
thanks
omar
Old 07-26-2004, 08:26 PM

Re: Shock Adjustment??

Anyone???
Old 07-26-2004, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by FireHawk409
Okay i have Qa1s all around with bmr springs and wanted to know what everyone adjusts them too for the strip. I pretty much have a stock Lt1 engine wise.
Also being that i have qa1's would I still need an airbag for the left rear or can I just adjust that shock stiffer then the right one? Wouldnt that be the same as an airbag preloading it? I see you can get two airbags or one. I dont understand why you would need one for the right since preloading the left will even it out.
thanks
omar
I run the HAL/QA1's, QA1 drag springs in the front, Eibach drag launch in the back. Used to run an airbag. Setting the shock stiff on one side isn't as effective as using the bag.

Try the HAL's set loose in the front (0, 1, 2) and medium in the back (4, 5, 6). Both sides don't necessarily have to be set the same. Each car is different. Play with the settings until you get the best 60-ft times.

Airbags are sold in pairs because their primary purpose is to increase the load carrying capacity of the springs, as in a truck or heavilly loaded passenger car. Its just incidental that a single airbag in the right rear (passenger side) spring will counter the squat that results from the rear axle torque reaction. You could run bags in both sides..... just put 15-20psi in the right side, and drop the left side to the minimum recomended 5psi or less to take it out of the equation.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:34 AM

I too am running the Qa1 shocks with Qa1 springs front and eibach drag springs in the rear plus a large antiswaybar in the rear.I run the fronts at 1 and in the heat of summer run the rears at 1 also for those slick starting lines in the spring and fall the rears go to 4 . the sway bar removed the need to keep any air in the bag as it launches straight as an arrow.