Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Need opinions: Strange vs. Moser, 12 bolt vs. 9inch

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 09:53 PM

Need opinions: Strange vs. Moser, 12 bolt vs. 9inch

Ok guys (& gals), what is your opinion of which is better? What is your reasoning behind it? In my case, I am not looking to have ABS/TCS, so you can rule out that difference. Thanks for your opinions, help me decide which to get!!
Old 05-06-2003, 07:35 AM

Chevy High Performance had a really nice article on this a few months back..

Check here..

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ine/index.html

--Sean
Old 05-06-2003, 11:41 AM

Sean- thanks for the link, it was very informative. Now, which do you think is the better company, as far as quality, service, support, and price?? Thanks for your help.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:40 PM

I don't have much of an opinion on the quality, I've never used anything from Strange.. I went with Moser because they were having a GP and the Strange stuff was back ordered when I was looking..

I can tell you this.. Moser screwed up and pressed the bearings on my axles before delivery. They sent me new bearings and a $50 credit to get them removed and pressed back on locally..

That says something for customer service..

If you are interested, contact Dave @ Tenacious performance .. dave@tenperf.com .. and ask him about the rears.. They resell Moser stuff and offer both their 9in and 12 bolt setups..

--Sean
Old 05-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Administrator

I bought the Strange when that was the only game in town
(well, there was also KTRE, but we all know what happened to people who sent $2000 to them for a rear). I'm very happy with it. Totally plug-and-play.... everything fits like a glove, uses the stock driveshaft length, shipped fully assembled, filled with gear lube and alledgedly "run in" at the factory... no break-in recommended by Strange. They even include the correct cross-over u-joint of your choice. No backing plates to swap, no parts to assemble. I did feel they set it up a little loose on backlash... 0.010. But that was minor.

One problem, other than waiting one month for it to arrive... they "forgot" to install the ABS ring on the "super-strength" posi... I didn't find that out until the rear was installed, and I went to install the sensor, and couldn't feel anything through the hole. Since the reluctor is actually machined into the carrier body, it took a full month for Strange to come up with a new posi. They were totally cooperative, sent the new carrier and all new bearings to a nearby shop we mutally agreed on, paid for all shipping and labor, and guaranteed the shop's work.

The rear has held up to everything I could throw at it. I know George Baxter took his up to 900HP before he decided to switch to a 9-inch. The 9-inch has a few issues of its own, including the need for an offset torque arm mount, clearance problems in the tunnel, the additional 3% loss of efficiency, weight, and the steeper angle of the u-joints due to the lower centerline on the pinion shaft. I also helped a buddy swap out a 9-inch center section in his 99 SS, and because of the clunky torque arm bracket being in the way, it was easier to remove the entire rear from the car to swap the center section... not quite as easy as it appears on paper.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Check out these guys too: http://www.currieenterprises.com
Old 05-06-2003, 08:49 PM

Location: Albuquerque,NM--5,600 feet above you sea-level cats
I went with a Currie 9" simply for the added strength.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer
I also helped a buddy swap out a 9-inch center section in his 99 SS, and because of the clunky torque arm bracket being in the way, it was easier to remove the entire rear from the car to swap the center section... not quite as easy as it appears on paper.
Much easier to remove the entire rear from the car?!?!!?!?!?! Why didn't you just take off the 3 bolts that held the torque arm bracket to the housing before removing the chunk (you can even leave the bracket bolted to the TQ arm)? Probably takes all of 3-5 minutes, and the rest is a snap. I've done center section changes many times on my T/A, and the swap is pretty darn quick... definitely don't understand why someone would pull the entire rear- that's a LOT of extra work and time for a simple job!
Old 05-07-2003, 08:55 PM

When I swapped in my Strange 12 bolt, I only undid the track bar, control arms from body and lower shock bolts then pulled everything together. Was very easy this way especially with the PeteZ bars. Whole rear was in in just a couple hours including putting on the backing plates and brake parts.
Very nice piece.