Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Drag launch advice/ problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:02 PM

Drag launch advice/ problem

I've been long time reader of the forums and recently bought a 96 T/A w/LT1 the car wasn't running when I got it but I put it back together over the winter ...but my problem is this.. I took it to the track for the first time the 18 th and made two passes before a small oil leak sent me home but I returned this week to get four more passes..The problem is I am having trouble getting the car to consistantly leave .. it either knocks the tires off or dead hooks carrying the tires 4-6 inches for about six feet...

pass # 60ft
1 2.00 7.90 94.xx mph spun hard
2 1.76 7.33 95.8x mph hooked but I was all over the limiter
next week
3 1.96 7.50 95.xx spun and all over the limiter
4 1.66 7.29 96.xx hooked carried but still hitting limiter
5 1.58 7.14 96.xx good pass short shifted good hook
6 1.90 8.03 ??? spun hard and shifted 1 to 3rd

I shift with a shift lite but am getting used to it (my other car has air shift) but I am running the dr's at 22psi (air pressure must be a trade secret in Drag Radials?) and am getting used to the car every pass but I've tried to pay more attetion to the launch RPM .. I do know the last pass was at 2200 rpm +/- but the others I'm not so sure (no trans brake) ..do DR's like more of a flash of rpm or preload with rpm against converter. I appreciate any help as the learning curve is steeop but I also realize there is alot of experience on this board and any help can shorten that curve big time.. P.S I DO REALIZE MOST IF NOT ALL MAY BE DRIVER ERROR thats why I'm asking for advise..THANKS in advance
Old 04-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Which drag radials are you using? The Nittos in your sig? Nitto 555Rs aren't nearly as consistent as Mickey Thompson ET Street radials, which in turn aren't as consistent as a full drag slick.

How old are your tires? A set of drag radials that is too old will exhibit inconsistent launches like you're experiencing.

What's your burnout technique? Are you consistently heating the tires up before each launch? Any chance you're just not very good at getting in the groove? How is track prep? On the runs when you spun, any chance there was a FWD car in front of you tracking water through the burnout box? There are zillions of things that can affect launch consistency that have nothing at all to do with the car.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:05 PM

I followed the jr dragsters each time and was the first one out two of the four times..they are 555s and although they are about two years old , I am breaking them in as they have never been used before the car doesn't have the line lock installed yet (this week it will) but I still get a fair burnout (because the car wants to come around a little) but I have been able to get about the same burnout each time..with a botched burnout I have been taking extra time to be in the groove each time though..each time I seem to be getting a better feel for the car and I'm hoping to stumble across the right combo to get a consistant launch as I want to start running a DR class down here in NC but I'm going to need N2O and thats why more consistancy could really help if you know what I mean..Thanks again
Old 04-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

My experience with Nittos (on my wife's dad's Buick) is that they like a nice, long burnout. A short one won't do the trick.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:03 PM

Nittos do like a long burnout as mentioned. I also had to run them at about 16 lbs. hot. I switched to MT DRs and wow is there a big difference. Shorter burnout, a few lbs. more air and they dead hook every time. Well almost every time, there's always those in front of you that like driving through the water box with street tires on, or a car thats leaking a little and the starting line crew misses it.
Can I take a guess here and ask if that Erson cam is a Joe O. design?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:52 PM

I wish I knew more about the cam specs myself.. the guy I bought the car from couldn't find the cam card/specs but I remember him saying some guy in Goochland Va helped him get the car running as good as it did and that guy ran a stock or super stock LT1 or something..the Accel DFI is really neet but probably waaay over my head!!! I'm used to a dominator and a distributor so I am on a big learning curve...but it's fun so far..the car's picking up every time I take it to the track as I learn more and get used to it ..seat time counts!! but I am dying to try the nitrous on it once I get the N/A set-up down
Old 04-28-2009, 07:08 AM

You really need to off the Nittos, they will never be consistant on a low 7 sec. 1/8 mile car. For street and track try MT ET street radials. For a drag only car get some Hoosier drag radials. Either tire will dead hook a well set up 7sec 1/8 f-body. Like the one in my sig.