Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Wideband question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:59 AM

Wideband question

Been reading on datalogging with Wideband O2s. Is Datamaster the only program out there for LT1s that this can be done with?

I know the WBO2s can be hooked to a gauge but I'm interested in datalogging.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Re: Wideband question

Dual gauges, or single? A single wide band can be hooked to the A/C pressure sensor harness connector (if not in use) and logged with any data logger that includes the A/C pressure - Scan9495 for example. I'm not sure if you can alter the scalar in the PCM to produce a meaningful readout (lambda, A/F), or if you have to convert the signal data in an Excel spreadsheet. I'm sure you can find a “how to” online, since it is a popular mod. Any PCM input that is based on a 0-5V signal input will work.

For dual sensors, you can buy wide-band setup with the dual sensors, a digital readout, an internal data logging capability (both O2’s plus a couple other inputs like RPM), and an alarm for a lean condition.

https://www.altronicsinc.com/data-re...ecorder-1.html

Another alternative would be to replace your narrow-band sensors with wide-band sensors, and use the wide-band O2 controller to output an emulated narrow-band signal (0-1V) to the stock PCM O2 sensor input channels. Now you are using the wide-band to control the A/F ratio, and can directly log the O2 sensor volts in narrow-band format with any data logging software.

Last edited by Injuneer; 07-23-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Another alternative would be to replace your narrow-band sensors with wide-band sensors, and use the wide-band O2 controller to output an emulated narrow-band signal (0-1V) to the stock PCM O2 sensor input channels. Now you are using the wide-band to control the A/F ratio, and can directly log the O2 sensor volts in narrow-band format with any data logging software.
Can you direct me to more information on this? This sounds interesting.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Most wide-band controllers that I have seen output two analog signals. One is the standard, somewhat linear, 0 to 5 volt (10:1 - 20:1 AFR; 0.68 - 1.36 lambda on gasoline) wide-band output. The other is the typical, totally non-linear 0 to 1 volt narrow band signal. You can hook the wide-band signal to a gauge, and the narrow-band signal to the PCM, with qualifications. There may be an electrical interface issue, that requires an adapter. The PCM supplies 0.45 volts to a narrow-band sensor. Not exactly sure how you hook the two systems together, but it can be done.

Some cautions:

- wide-band sensors have a shorter life than narrow-band

- wide-band sensor position in the pipe as more demanding, basically the tip has to be pointing down. The wide-band sensor needs to be at least 24” downstream from the engine or a turbo.

- some wide-band controllers provide “slower” response than narrow-band sensors, and may not be fast enough for the PCM’s needs.

You would have to investigate the availabilty of the narrow-band signal emulation, and the install requirements with the specific manufacturers.

Last edited by Injuneer; 07-25-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:53 AM

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:36 AM

Injuneer, what's your opinion about the worthiness of doing this? Is it more for curiosity sake and to see the AFR or is it really beneficial in the tuning? I know WBO2s are more expensive and then there's all the other hookup stuff to do.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:15 AM

I'm not as well informed as Injuneer, but while this seems like an interesting and useful upgrade, for the effort and cost I think I will go with a piggy pack/stand alone setup in the future at the same time. I definitely want WBO2 data but after the huge problems I'm having with Jets tuning suite, modern engine control seems more appealing to me.

Correlating AFR with other engine parameters is worthwhile for tuning and having a display can help from causing engine trouble during operation, like with lean conditions in PE tables (at least with the stock PCM).

Last edited by BIG SHAFE; 07-25-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:05 AM
Administrator

I've seen reference to using a “dual” system that uses the faster narrow-band sensors to control A/F in closed loop, until the PCM enters PE mode, when the system switches to the more accurate (at richer A/F ratios) wide-band (narrow-band emulation) input. But that would require keeping “learning enabled” in PE mode for anything other than data logging.

I run a MoTeC ECU that can accept either narrow or wide input. But, ironically, I run an open loop tune. O2 feedback is for the MoTeC’s internal data logging purposes only. And, I never spent the money on the dual wide-band sensors/controllers. The system does have input of EGT from #7 primary, again just for data logging.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:55 AM

I guess I'm just questioning the usefulness vs cost for my situation. I don't race so I'm not trying to gain those few tenths of a mile off my ET and I'm naturally aspirated. My car is a DD so I'm looking for a good balance of mileage and power. While I love gadgets, I'm guessing I can achieve a suitable balance by a good tune without the wideband O2s. That being said, I and others do greatly appreciate the information.