Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Logging wideband O2 output through PCM

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 07:33 PM

Logging wideband O2 output through PCM

I remember reading a while back about someone that had run a wide band O2 sensor through one of those Innovative LC-1 things, and then to the PCM. From what I remember he removed some useless sensor and used that for the O2 reading. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Did it ever work?

It'd be really useful if this worked, so I wouldn't have to dick around with excel files and time scaling and time matching, etc.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:26 PM

Re: Logging wideband O2 output through PCM

Originally Posted by Demus
I remember reading a while back about someone that had run a wide band O2 sensor through one of those Innovative LC-1 things, and then to the PCM. From what I remember he removed some useless sensor and used that for the O2 reading. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Did it ever work?

It'd be really useful if this worked, so I wouldn't have to dick around with excel files and time scaling and time matching, etc.
You could scale that device to use a 0-5V output over whatever range of AFR's you like. Then unless your logging software gives you the option of how to interpret the outputted data, you'd just have to convert the logged data back to AFR numbers using the scale you programmed the LC1 with.

For example, say you hooked the LC1 up to your throttle position sensor harness (don't do that though), your logged data would still read somewhere between 0 and 100 (%). If your scale is volts=0-5 for lambda=7.4-22.1, then a TPS reading of 0% means lambda=7.4 and a TPS reading of 100% means lambda=22.1. Then TPS%=50 means stoich, of course.

I don't know which sensor would be best to replace here though, it would obviously need to be one which normally gives a linear voltage output.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:57 PM

I seem to recall that whoever tried this before used an AC sensor wire that wasn't really important. The LC1 is totally programmable, so you can totally control the voltage range. I'm definitely going to pick this unit up, I can't see any good reason why this wouldn't work and to me it's 10x more valuable than other units that are essentially replacement data loggers.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Demus
I seem to recall that whoever tried this before used an AC sensor wire that wasn't really important. The LC1 is totally programmable, so you can totally control the voltage range. I'm definitely going to pick this unit up, I can't see any good reason why this wouldn't work and to me it's 10x more valuable than other units that are essentially replacement data loggers.
what logging hardware/software do you use?
Old 05-15-2006, 10:16 PM

I have an ALDL cable /w Datamaster. I know Datamaster won't support mapping the voltage to the correct AFR, but I'm pretty good with computers and won't have a problem patching the code.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:09 PM

I have a cable based on the elm322 chip (not sure about yours) and I have been able to use this software called wobd (link). It lets you design your own poll, decide which data you want to retrieve, and in some cases define the output units. You might be interested to check it out...

edit: now that I look at it again, I'm not sure that this would be useful in the way I was hoping... you can't change any of the predefined sensor outputs to raw voltage.

Last edited by evilundisguised; 05-15-2006 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:42 AM
sbs

On a 94-95 Y-body you can use the input for the rear O2 sensor.

Don't know if 94-95 F-bodies have that input, or what year car you have...