Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Which wideband 02 meter is the best for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:55 AM

Re: Which wideband 02 meter is the best for me?

Originally Posted by firebirdStud
so basically, from what I gather, this thing is really only good if I was jeff creech and wanted to tune my own car? because, I don't really know jack about tuning, so I contacted jeff, and he said all I need is a good 02 wideband meter.
Like I said, it depends on you. Overkill is a matter of someones opinion sometimes. This thing is not only for tuning but monorting. I cant carry a tune more or less tune a car but I do know how to monitor crap. That's all we do underway for days at a time on a diesel ship as a engineer.

I already have the laptop and cable. Hmm. decisions decisions. It would be cool to get it, but for what I am looking for maybe I should keep looking? Im not boosted, so it makes mine easier to tune, I think. But, on the other hand, having this in the car would be great.
LIke I said it's up to you and what your budget will allow. The other sensor high on my list is the wideband cammando. That thing is hawt as well and comes HIGHLY reccomended on the SVT boards. Once again though, it aint cheap either.

Always monitoring things, making sure it isn't gonna grenade on me! lol.
That's why I want it. And it looks cool. Imagine having it, a lt1 scanmaster in the ac duct and the edge hsw nitrous controller also on the dash. Now how hawt is that.

Do you know if I could put this sensor in the exhuast down farther, and keep both narrow band sensors? Or would there be any gain from doin that? I would like both narrowband sensors to do their jobs, and not have the wideband sensor just send a false signal to the ecm.
That would work just fine as far as I know. I would want it somewhere near the stocker. Im sure the experts can chime in and tell us where the best placement is and why etc.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:56 AM

haha thanks todd! This is exactly what I am looking for, direct comparisons and details about what you can and can't do for each system in question. So thanks! This is what this thread is for, digging deeper!
~Cody
Old 03-02-2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by 96HawkCnvt
Just a couple of quick notes on the Innovate stuff vs. the PLX. I believe that either will help you achieve what you are wanting to do. As in most of life, there are likely pros/cons to each.

FYI, the Innovate (LM-1, XD-16, LC-1) can also be used with the O2 sensor in the stock location. It will output a narrow band signal to your ECM/PCM as well as the wideband that you use for tuning. And of course if you have a compatible aftermarket ECM you can feed the wideband signal directly in. I have very little experience with that but I know a guy in our local club that is using it very effectively with an Electromotive setup.

Also, if you want some of the other features noted about the PLX, you can use Innovate's LMA-3. The LMA-3 (Auxbox) has 5 inputs that can be configured for:

Input 1: RPM, 0..5V, duty cycle, Frequency/speed measurement
Input 2: EGT, CHT, 0..5V, lateral acceleration
Input 3: duty cycle, frequency/speed, RPM, 0..5V, ign. timing
Input 4: MAP (3 bar), MAP (1 bar), 0..5V, frequency/speed, RPM, duty cycle
Input 5: acceleration, 0..5V, frequency/speed, RPM, duty cycle

In addition the LMA-3 can be used to log it's 5 channels stand-alone with a laptop. And it has built in accelerometers, calibrated MAP sensor (1 bar or 3 bar switchable) and a thermocouple amplifier (switchable sensitivity between EGT range and CHT range). It is also capable of measuring frequencies (from speed sensors, rpm and frequency based MAF sensors) and duty cycle on 4 of the 5 inputs, while the RPM converter can measure only 0..5V analog signals. Also it has a 5V output to supply external sensors.

Figured I would add to your confusion on what to buy!

Todd
Intresting. I wonder will the plx sensor output narrow band as well?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:59 AM

hmm hondahunter... do I smell the beginings of a group purchase in the works?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:59 AM

I want the big dawgs to come in and dissect the plx r-500 and compare it to the wide band commando, lma, and the ones Fred mentioned.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:01 AM

hmm hondahunter... do I smell the beginings of a group purchase in the works?
I'm down for sure. I need a wideband. I also wanted to prevent having 50 gauges lined up in my car. That's why I'm leaning so heavilly toward the plx.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
I'm down for sure. I need a wideband. I also wanted to prevent having 50 gauges lined up in my car. That's why I'm leaning so heavilly toward the plx.
I need a wideband too. I already have an oil temp gauge and a air fuel guage, which after installed, was pretty worthless. Like Injuneer told me last summer, its just a neat light show. DOH! and I have a shift light. So, only adding one more display would be nice, as I don't want my car to scream "STEAL ME, IM FAST AS HELL!" LOL. It looks pretty, but does it perform. I mailed Jeff this link and a link to the plx, we will see what he thinks when he emails me back!
~Cody

Last edited by firebirdStud; 03-02-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:11 AM

I know for sure Ill be getting fuel psi, oil psi, tranny temp, and water temp gauges. Everything else I want to be displayed on the display. Why does everything have to cost so much.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:20 AM

yeah no kidding. Nothing is cheap anymore. Hell, even the group purchases seem to be pretty damn expensive these days. I need to start whoring myself out in order to pay for my firebird addiction!
Old 03-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Administrator

The literature for the plx indicates that it can be set up 3 ways, as far as the O2 sensor....

-wide-band input with 1V-5V linear output to an external device
-wide-band input with configurable output to an external device
-wide-band input with 0-1V narrow band emulation to an external device (= stock PCM).

So, you would not need a new O2 bung on your exhaust system, if you didn't want to add one. The cost of adding a bung is really minimal, and it would make sense to add them to both banks, so you cuold verify that both banks are running the same.

Another system that is extremely flexible and expandible is the MoTeC Professional Lamba Meter. I run the MoTeC ECU, and wish I had the $$$$$$$$ to add the additional data logging capacity, the Pro Lambda Meter and the "mini-dash" display. A budd of mine had the mini-dash in his 8-second 30th SS convertible. You can also get the mini-dash mounted on a steering wheel, or get a ful digital dash display, similar to what is used on the F1 cars.

http://www.motec.com/home.htm

Lambda Meter:

http://www.motec.com/products/plm/plm.htm

Steering Wheel w/ mini-dash:

http://www.motec.com/products/steering.htm

Full Digital Dash:

http://www.motec.com/products/dash/adl2dash.htm

Old 03-02-2006, 01:37 PM

That's pretty cool. Do you have pictures of the dash in his car or how he went about doing it?
Old 03-02-2006, 01:51 PM

dude, I found a site that sales the digital dash for over $6000. That Motec stuff is not cheap, sheesh.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:57 PM

holly crap, 6 grand? that plx is lookin good about now! Or even the inovative... I was cringing at 600 dollars, I won't even do 6 gs. That is totally out of the question!
Old 03-04-2006, 01:38 PM

hmm, so basically just weld in the bung farther down the exhaust, and have three sensors, keep both stock ones and add the wideband... Got it. So, now I need to decide on a model...
Old 03-04-2006, 01:52 PM

Note that Innovate also has O2 heat sinks that can be used for that very reason. But you shouldn't have any problem just throwing it a little further down the line as you suggest firebirdstud.

Todd

Quick Reply: Which wideband 02 meter is the best for me?