Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

VE tables alter non-SD mode?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 AM

I've considered an adjustable fuel pressure regulator as well, I figured I would need to up it to 56 psi from 43.5 to get where I need to be.

I'm still surprised at the lack of power. I would have figured it would at least equal a bolt-on LS1 numbers given the heads flow more than stock LS1 (260 something intake) and with the 1.7 RR it makes the cam 'bigger' than a stock LS1 as well. Also bolt on LT4's seem to be in the 330 range as well. Not to mention that E85 is supposed to give 3-5% more power with more timing That's why I thought I would hit at least 330.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:40 AM

Eh I dont trust dynos as far as I can spit. With the same exact combo I have dyno'ed 387rwhp-422rwhp making no changes other than the day and the dyno. Some are stingy and some arent. The track tells me how much hp i'm making. All I know is on E85 i picked up a pretty reliable easy 3-4mph. the dyno is a tuning tool and thats about it.

Having said all that your stock cam is either choking you or you're going into valve float because of the high rocker ratio. The fuel delivery on fuel injectors that have gone static with 100%+ dc is not too pretty either. Out the tailpipe you get the right air fuel ratio but who knows if some cylinders are running alot fatter than others (mismatch between injectors), after all the reading you have is just an average. It takes all cylinders running the right mix to make max power. If some of them are too fat you're leaving power on the table.

Even if you match the headflow of a stock ls1 and the cam lift and duration, you're not going to be up there with it. The 55mm cam core they run allows a ton more agressiveness and even lobe area for a given durationa nd lift. They have much more even airflow to all cylinders than we do and a much better tuned intake manifold. They also have unbelievable bsfc's and make best power with as little as 24* of timing wot. It takes us another 10-12 degrees to make max power. We're just outclassed in about every way.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:10 AM

I don't think I'm getting valve float, as I have Comp dual valve springs (not sure what model though) plus it should show in the graph, right? The injectors maxing is probably a big part of it, I would think.
As far as comparing to LS1, I know they are more efficient in all those other areas, I just figured the extra lift and flow would at least get me closer to them power wise. Looking at a bolt-on LT4's being in 330's is what I was really wanting to compare to being a similar engine.

AFR was measured in the pass side header, so yeah was an average for that bank. I'll try to swap it to the other bank to see where it is running at WOT as well.

I have a post under LT1/LT4 Tech forum about the results if you want to post there since we have gone so off topic here. lol.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:51 PM

Ok Kirby i'll post in that one from now on . Sorry to everyone for the severe thread jacking that has taken place .

My story with the dynos was just to illustrate a point. In my experience which is with about 35 different engine and chassis dynos. Alot of the chassis dynos read pretty high. Reason is people get all butt-hurt if thier engine doesnt make x amount of hp because the magazines and internet said they all at least do this. The real test for e85 with your car would be with large enough injectors, and then switch back to a gas tune and 93 on the same day on the same dyno.

Dont believe all the numbers everyone posts. I have seen cars dyno in the upper 300's and run mid tens and i have seen cars dyno 460's and run low 12's. Its all very relative when it comes to chassis dynos or any for that matter. Its just how its calibrated.

You should also be able to tell at least a little bit from what other cars on the dyno were doing as well. If the ls guys were hitting 300rwhp and you were doing 322 then you werent so bad off.

The bottom line is really to gauge your cars performance at the racetrack not on the dyno.

Also remember that the a/f being an average of even one bank can be many different ways with the same answer. Could be 10 10 12 12 and still get an a/f reading of 11, or they could all be 11. The power difference between the two situations is pretty large. Just something to keep in mind.